Thursday, August 23, 2012

When Life Gives You Zucchini Make Bread!

My kids are not very good vegetable eaters. They like broccoli, green beans, and raw carrots . They love corn and potatoes but I consider them more of a starch than veggie. My husband and I love stir fries but my kids don't want to have much to do with a multicolored meal. They like their veggies one at a time so I have had to use some creativity to entice them into thinking vegetables are great. For example, my kids would never eat zucchini or pumpkin but when I put them into bread they gobble them up!
This time of year zucchini is plentiful. I prefer to eat my zucchini when it is in the small to medium size range. Have you ever been in your garden to find zucchini that are too small to pick and then go out the next day to discover a zucchini that is a foot and a half long?? Those are the zucchinis I like to grate and turn into bread.

 My recipe calls for 2 cups of grated zucchini. I measure out 2 cup portions and freeze the portions I don't use to pull out during winter so we can enjoy our summer produce for a long time. If I have a portion that isn't enough for zucchini bread I will use it in my homemade spaghetti sauce. I sneak other veggies, such as carrots and sweet potato, by pureeing them and adding to sauces .When we have pasta or a casserole type dish my oldest son will ask me what kind of vegetables have I hidden in our dinner.

 Here is a recipe handed down to me from my mom. I am not sure where she got it but will ask her the next time I see her.

3 C flour
2 1/2 C. Sugar (1 1/4 brown, 1 1/4white)
1-2 tsp. cinnamon ( we like lots of cinnamon!)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. Oil
1 tsp vanilla (I think I use about 1/2 T.- we love vanilla too)
3 eggs
2 C grated zucchini

Mix dry ingredients (except sugar) together and set aside. In another bowl beat eggs and sugar. Add oil and mix again. Add in the dry ingredients 1 C At a time. Add zucchini and vanilla at the end. If you like nuts or raisins these can also be added in at this time. Bake in a bundt or loaf pan for 1hour @ 275-300.

At a certain point during the baking process your house will start to smell yummy. My kids usually start circling the oven about this time asking when the bread will be ready. As soon as the oven timer goes off they are in the kitchen wanting to know when they can eat! We prefer our bread with a little powdered sugar sprinkled on but some of my extended family love it with cream cheese frosting. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment