Monday, September 10, 2012

Fabric Clouds

A few years back I read a blog post on How About Orange on how she experimented putting fabric on the wall using a cornstarch mixture. I kind of filed it away in the back of my mind for future use. Then a couple of years ago when I saw some photos of Danielle Thompson's boys' room I knew that one day I needed to have a room with clouds on the wall. Last summer when I put together my baby's nursery I had the opportunity. To make the glue add 1/4 C. corn starch into 1/2 C. cold water. Pour in4 C. boiling water and stir with a whisk. Allow some time for it to cool so you don't burn your hands when applying the solution to the fabric. I had a roll of unused newspaper paper and drew out my clouds. I taped them to the wall to see if they were the size I wanted then used these papers as my pattern to cut out the fabric. I used a little Amy Butler, Sandi Henderson, and Premier Prints (this was before Riley Blake came out with all their Chevron prints). The white is a swiss dot but you are unable to see the dots in these photos.

I used a wide paint brush to "paint" the corn starch solution to the back of the fabric.  Once the  fabric was on the wall I used my brayer to get out any air bubbles. I went back around the edges of the fabric with the paint brush dipped into the cornstarch. Some of the cornstarch solution dripped down the wall which needed to be wiped, up but overall, I was surprised at how little of a mess this made.

Today, a year later, every time I go in to get the baby up these clouds and the  Children at Play  bumpers and quilt I made make me smile! I haven't tired of it yet and it is something that my baby/toddler won't outgrow any time soon. The great thing about this project is the possibilities and shapes you could put on your walls are endless! When you do tire of the shapes they can be peeled off with no damage or holes to the wall. Happy Monday!!

1 comment:

  1. That is such a sweet idea! I love the different fabrics you used.

    How sweet is the nursery - all those handmade touches - just beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete