Wednesday, September 26, 2012

WIP Wednesday

I put all projects on hold this week to use my sewing time for a special project.  However, I did manage to take last week's (or was that the week before?)fabric stack and cut a bunch of strips from selvedge to selvedge.

Then I took those long strips and cut them into smaller strips. They sit  patiently waiting for me.  

This is the project I am spending my time on this week; Project Run and Play.  There were so many awesome things created last week that I had to join in this week and participate in the sew along. This week the challenge is to make something from a white sheet.

I had considered dying the sheet and doing an experiment with a bleach pen but since I have so little sewing time (unless I stay up all night sewing) I decided to draw up a little white dress. Simple, right?! Not so much. I think I am on my 3rd attempt to get the bodice right. I didn't have anything that was the neck line I wanted so I was working with 2 different t-shirts and a bowl to draft a pattern. 

During daylight hours I was able to get into my daughter's closet and found a  neckline that was an easier modification. Things were going great but then I used a different seam allowance on the bodice than the skirt part of the dress. It's a long story I won't bore you with and needless to say, the seam ripper is my best friend. That being said, I am having fun trying something I haven't done before and will be giving it another attempt after this challenge. Drafting up my own pattern has been on my to do list but without Project Run and Play it is not likely that I would be attempting this now. I am looking forward to a time when drafting my own pattern to make what I want is easier than using a store bought pattern!! Here's hoping I can finish my simple little dress before Friday morning! 

2 comments:

  1. I just checked out the Project Run and Play...so fun! I can't wait to see your white sheet project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh good luck with your dress pattern! Exciting to try out your own design - hope that it all comes together with minimal seam unpicking! ;)

    ReplyDelete