Monday, November 19, 2012

Mr. Gobble Gobble

A few weeks back, right before I got sick, Kristy from Quiet Play sent me a paper piecing pattern to test for her. I always enjoy reading Kristy's blog and love to see what project or pattern she is working on. I was so excited as I had never done any paper piecing but have seen so many inspiring and amazing paper pieced blocks around blogland. It was a technique that was on my to do list so this was a wonderful and motivating opportunity for me!


The whole process was fun from choosing fabric to seeing the turkey come to life! I do love puzzles and paper piecing is somewhat like putting a puzzle together...only you have directions with paper piecing. I started with the most challenging part of the block (the piece with a bunch of teeny, tiny pieces) and after making the same mistake 2 or 3 times I decided to start with the simplest part of the block, even though it wasn't the "A" piece. After doing a few simple ones I got used to looking at the block backwards and where I needed to place the fabric and then it was smooth sailing. 

Originally I thought I would make a hot pad holder but in the end I decided I didn't want to cover Mr. Gobble Gobble with a plate so I turned him into a tea towel to hang from the oven handle. I added a little frame around Mr. Gobble then some pieces of linen to bring the size up to 18x25. I embroidered the eyes and wing as well as "thankful". I backed it with with some fall prints from JoAnn Fabrics. My favorite print is the little feather print at the top.  I have hung a couple of fall garlands and a fall wreath on the front door and am feeling like a little more decorating may be in order. Sorry for the dark photos but the sun hasn't been out all weekend here.

The fabrics on the front are: Kona Sky for the background, Hello Pilgrim by Lizzy House for the grass. Quilter's linen in Natural for the body, beak and legs are Running Stitch by Patty Young, the gobble thingy is from the Fly a Kite line by October Afternoon for Riley Blake. The script feather is Etchings by 3 Sisters for Moda, the floral is Secret Garden by Sandi Henderson then Madrona Road by Violet Craft and the ruler print was from JoAnn Fabrics. The woodgrain frame is by Joel Dewberry. Kristy has quite a few fun paper piecing patterns in her Craftsy shop here. I bought her newest one, Pine Tree Park, and would like to either make a few blocks to turn into a table runner or use 1 block and turn it into a stocking. She has given sneak peaks of some sewing inspired blocks on her blog that I am excited about too! Happy Monday!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh this looks fantastic as a tea towel! I love the wood grain frame around the turkey, and the colours and the embroidery and and and - let's go with I love it! hehe!

    ReplyDelete