Friday, December 21, 2012

Flashback Friday- A Farewell to Fall

Since today is the first day of winter I wanted to look back and lock away some of  my favorite fall memories. Fall is my favorite season. Here in California the weather starts to cool off from the blazing summer and is pretty much perfect! The Meyer lemons come in...sometimes by Halloween but usually not until Thanksgiving.

Come September I start looking for the leaves to start changing which doesn't usually happen until October. Purple, red, yellow, I love them all. If there is one downside to fall it would be that we do not have enough fall color where we live. 

Love fall sunflowers! (and these two cuties!)

I took this photo 4 years ago. We were driving home after school pick up and the fall light was coming so beautifully through the neighbor's trees. I didn't capture how truly beautiful it was but this photo brings back memories of that day. My kids think it's completely normal to stop at some random place and take a photo of an inanimate object.

It seems we have more clouds than at any other time of the year making for beautiful sunrises or in this case, a sunset.

There is a flock of wild turkeys that visit our neighborhood every year. Apparently no one has told them that turkey is the traditional Thanksgiving dinner. They are such funny looking birds.

The pumpkin patch is definitely one of my favorite fall traditions.

Festive, goofy gourds.

Daytime clouds. I have so many cloud photos. One day I will make a dedicated cloud album. They are one of my favorite things.

Thanksgiving usually includes a friendly cousin competition of hoops and horse.

Our maple tree is one of my fall favorite things and the changing leaves are a definite marker of the season. This year the leaves have all been down for a few weeks now. For me once all the leaves have fallen winter has arrived.

Friday night football games are a highlight of fall and something I look forward to each week.

We have a beautiful view out our backyard. This was one of those glorious cloudy sunrises where you know it will be a great day because it started with this.

A farewell to fall also means a farewell to our summer garden produce. I have always wanted to plant a winter garden but never have. Someday I will. I have loved Fall of 2012 and will look forward to it's coming again next year. Hello winter! There is joy in the changing of seasons; you have many good qualities especially if your season is short and not too cold. Have a fun weekend finishing up loose ends to prepare for Christmas!! and I hope having fun with loved ones is at the top of your lists.

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to remember the beauty of Fall, my most favorite season of all. The photo of the red wagon speaks to me...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture with pumpkins, I love their colors. I was born in September, so autumn is my season :) J.

    ReplyDelete