Wednesday, January 16, 2013

WIP Wednesday- Polaroid Party Quilt

Back in October I had participated in a polaroid block swap.  After I received my blocks I thought for awhile about what I wanted to turn them into. I decided upon an eye spy quilt for my kids (and truth be told for me too! I love cameras and polaroid prints). I thought I needed a polaroid camera on the quilt so I emailed Kristy to see if that was a pattern she thought she could create. She could and did a fabulous job. Still, I wasn't quite sure of how I wanted to layout the quilt so I continued to mull it over. I loved this one and this one.

Like Rachel, I decided I wanted the polaroids to look like they were scattered across a table like someone was looking through them. Again I emailed my paper-piecing-pattern-making-extraordinairre friend Kristy. I sent her a few sketches and wondered if it was possible to create blocks where the polaroids looked "layered". Again she created a super pattern with 7 different blocks. They came together easily and were fun to make. Taking all the paper off the back of the blocks wasn't so fun but I am not complaining. I love it! I can't decide if I should applique the polaroid to come out of the camera (in the top photo) or leave the camera plain (the 2nd photo).

For the back I found this fun camera print at JoAnn's and I made the binding from Kona but I am not sure what color it is. Possibly chartreuse. The quilt blocks are 10". I wanted the quilt a bit larger so I added a 3inch finished border so it will measure 36x46.

I have it basted and ready for quilting. I think I will trace along each polaroid. I don't have a machine that free motions quilts so I need to do some sort of straight line quilting. How would you quilt it? 

 I have a few other WIPs but for now I am focusing on this one until it is finished. It is Wednesday so I am linking up to Freshly Pieced. I am looking forward to checking out what everyone else has been making this week.
Grab a button
                                                                                 

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Poloroid Block and you sure have some great ones there! I'm new to WIP and I'm excited about all the new-to-me blogs I'm discovering because of it. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Polaroid quilt. I have just added it to my must make list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it looks fantastic altogether!! Love it!!

    I like the idea of the appliqued Polaroid too! Adds a nice touch to the quilt!

    How perfect is that backing! Going to be such a fab quilt when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your polaroid block quilt is very nice. I have some from the swap that I need to make something with. Yours is inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic!!! What a clever idea!! Yes, I'd agree that outlining the polaroids sounds like the way to go :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the layout! Personally I like the photo coming out of the camera, but either way is good. That backing and binding are too perfect.

    I'm big on straightline quilting, too. For lighter quilting I would probably just stitch in the ditch and outline around each of the photos. If you like more dense quilting, maybe been echoing the previous line of quilting all the way out to the edge of the 10" block?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a fun quilt!!! It is going to look great, no matter how you quilt it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fantastic! I really like it with the polaroid coming out of the camera (but I'd not want to do appliqué, if it were me, so you know.. do what makes you happy :D).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, it looks great and really laboriously! It is really great job! I can´t wait to see the finished quilt :)

    I love free quilting so much, but unfortunately I haven´t the corresponding foot.

    Have a wonderful time! Jolana

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's looking great Gina! I really love the placement and the camera block :)

    ReplyDelete