Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Madrona Road

I have been doing a fair share of sewing projects but garment sewing  has been going to the bottom of the list since the fall. With the arrival of spring it is time to make my girls some new dresses and I have accumulated a little designated stack of fabric and patterns to work with.

I love to sew using vintage patterns although  the A line dress is a classic that is still used a lot. I usually prefer a simple, classic style that isn't too fussy that the girls can be comfortable in for school, play, or church. This dress has a single button closure at the neck line and I found a yellow flower button that is almost an exact match to the floral pattern on the fabric.

I put the all important pockets on the front since the girls like to collect little bits and pieces through out their day. I lined them with a contrasting fabric for a fun peek when they stash their treasure. The fabric is a print from the Madrona Road line by Violet Craft. When I saw this print I thought it would work well for my girls who aren't so little any more but at the same time they are not grown up.

This was a very fun, gratifying sew because 1.)  my girl loves it and  2.) it  was a pleasant distraction from another project that I was stuck on and needed a break from.
As I took these photos I could not believe my little 8 year old is more of a young lady than a little girl. It has happened to my older kids and it will happen to my younger ones but some how it is always a bit shocking. I am so happy to link up with Make It Wear It Thursday at The Train to Crazy and to Project Run and Play for the last week of competition. I am happy to have sewn along for one week of this season. Maybe next season I will get to sew along for more than one week.
                                                               Photobucket


15 comments:

  1. Very classic and very grown up. Beautiful work, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely! I love the fabric and your daughter is absolutely beautiful! It's nice when they love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabric you chose. It's very elegant and your daughter is gorgeous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I agree with each of these comments! This dress is sooo nice and I love the pockets too. Yes, they are really necessary for young girls :) And your daughter is really very nice girl! :) Have a lovely day, Jolana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that print, and you made it up so wonderfully. Pockets are perfect! She looks like a little lady. Great job Momma!
    with love
    -Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your daughter looks just beautiful in her gorgeous dress! Well done G!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it & love the pockets, perfect dress for spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see why your daughter would like it so much! Great fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet style for the 'growing up / I'm not a baby' years!! Nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. she looks like a beautiful young lady - this is a great classic dress, the pockets just make it a little extra awesome ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dress is lovely, and so is your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Better and more lovely than any store bought dress. You styled the photo shoot so well and showcased your beautiful work so wonderfully. P.S. Can't wait to see your finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the yellow and how perfectly the dress fits. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We featured you on our blog. Thanks for sewing along! http://shaffer-sisters.blogspot.com/2013/02/prp-sew-along-winter-2013.html
    With Love,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete