Monday, February 18, 2013

One For Each...Finally!

September 2012 I decided I wanted to make each of my kids a quilt for Christmas. I finished 4 by Christmas then made #5 in January then I lost steam. I picked the fabrics I wanted to use but the the stack sat there. And sat there. And sat there. I think it was September or October that I finally cut the strips of fabric. Then I did some Christmas sewing and the strips sat. By Christmas I think I had most of the blocks made but I didn't meet my goal of finishing the quilt for Christmas. I set a new goal of finishing it for my son's birthday in February and I am happy to say the quilt is finished!!
I cut strips 1 1/2- 3 1/2 wide and around 13 inches long. I sewed them into blocks that I trimmed to  12 1/2x12 1/2. These blocks came together quickly once I finally worked on them and I can see making another quilt using this method.

Since these quilts for the kids were for me to practice or learn new to me techniques I decided to machine sew the binding using Rachel's tutorial for zig zag binding. I had used my machine to sew the binding on 2 quilts prior to this one and was not completely happy with the end results. It was faster than stitching the binding on by hand but I felt the hand stitched binding looked better than the machine binding. I did a little of a feather stitch on this quilt and some zig zag and I love it! It turned out great on the front and the back and it was really quick.

I didn't have quite enough of a fleece print so I added some Minky in for the backing and didn't use any batting. The fleece quilts up nicely but the Minky has a bit of stretch and is more difficult to work with but it's softness can't be beat. It sure feels good to move this to the "Done" list and I am happy to give it to my son for his birthday. Happy Monday!

3 comments:

  1. Who is talking about busy time?! :) Wow!!! The picture with all six quilts is amazing: various colors, various patterns... it is great view :) You really have to be happy to finish it :)
    Have a great time! Jolana

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so fast at making quilts, I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! It looks fantastic! Well done on getting a big quilt finished!

    Love seeing all the quilts together!

    ReplyDelete