Thursday, March 28, 2013

Good Neighbor Dress or the Crayola Conundrum

Scandinavian inspired art print, poster - Caroline Gomez
This week saw the beginning of All Stars week at Project Run and Play. I have been watching Project Run and Play for several seasons and have only sewn along once. That is 1 time, not 1 season. It is very hard to watch and not sew along because not only do the contestants come up with some amazing clothes but the sew along sewists do too. So, I am making a point of putting aside other projects to put sewing along with PRP at the top of my sewing list. The theme for this week is Inspired by Art. We get to choose an artist, art movement, or artwork and create a children's look inspired by the piece of art. Around the time that this seasons themes were announced I saw this Scandinavian print pinned on Rachel's Pinterest board. (you should check out the quilt she has started to make inspired by this print). Anyways, when I saw this print I knew it was my inspiration as I love little houses.
I used Simplicity 5827 as the base for the dress.

I changed up the sleeves and made them 3/4" with a pleated piece of color peeking out to tie in with the collar. I stuck with the color scheme of the print; I don't think I could ever make that many different colors work together on my own.
My favorite color lately has been peachy pink. It must be due to spring or all of the things I have made with Aneela's Posy line. I tried a couple different options for the collar and sleeve cuffs but in the end peachy pink won. It is a Kona cotton, blush I believe. 

The houses are raw edged applique. I have made my girls t-shirts using this method and have gotten good results without fraying or any problems even with lots of washing.

I prefer to take pictures outside with lots of natural light but I had this library shoot in my head for awhile and wanted to give it a whirl. It was fun for a change but photo color and clarity are always better outside.

The dress is made from Essex yarn dyed linen in black. I had been calling this dress the Good Neighbor dress (in my head) as I was making it but as I was appliqueing the houses on one day one of my daughter's came in and said. Mom, that is a great back to school dress! I love all those crayons or colored pencils you are sewing. 
I guess that is the beauty of art {and sewing}. We all see different things. If you would like to see other works of art sew alongers have made you can look here. If you check back on Friday you can see what the All Stars created this week and vote for your favorite. 
                                                               

17 comments:

  1. Lovely work! I love the color and pattern combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! You did a great job on the crayons and the dress is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh this is so cute! Love the little pleat ruffle sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely dress. I like the house's version best hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely dress. Looks very usable, too. Beautiful girls you have and what a lovely place You live in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dress! It IS a great back to school dress but I see houses, not crayons. Perfect for an In Our Neighborhood theme or a Shapes theme for primary grades.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great looking dress. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Essex linen was an excellent choice Gina. It sets the houses and the sleeve detail off very nicely. So is your Easter dress deadline met now?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love this!! So adorable! I hope you'll link up to Make It Wear It at TheTrainToCrazy.com!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is precious!! Love those little houses and pops of color....FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  11. G! That is an awesome dress! I love it! So cute and cheerful! How cute is your little model!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a pretty little dress, I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. so sweet :)
    I really love the pleated cuffs on the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute dress! and an awesome photoshoot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's so cute that they saw pencils! I definitely see houses and think the dress is darling. The pleated cuff really adds a pop.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh STOP!!! This is just too dang cute---the inspiration, they style of the dress, the photographs! So adorable. I love it!
    -liZ

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sharing this as one of my favorites on my blog today http://dudeyourockmysocks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete