Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Little Red Riding Hood

For the final week of Project Run and Play the theme is Spring Formal Wear,  an Easter outfit, spring wedding, or a dressy tea party. We do not have any formal events coming up and I wanted to make something that could be worn so I went with a tea party outfit. I pinned a skirt awhile back that I wanted to make my version of so that was my starting point. Here is the pin. 

The back of the suspenders button inside the skirt. This week I did make the pin tucks {as opposed to last week when I did a tuxedo shirt refashion}. I cut a piece of fabric that was 2 inches wider and longer than necessary, made the pin tucks then cut out the piece. I used separate piece of fabric for each suspender, waistband, and pockets. It was a bit time consuming but I felt that would be easier than making pin tucks on a whole yard of fabric.

The back closes with a button and a zipper. My daughter is completely infatuated with fairy tales right now so I used a Little Red Riding Hood print from Kokka that I bought a couple of years ago. I only had a half a yard but was wishing I had another yard of it to line the inside of a cape. It really is a darling print! The suspenders and rest of the skirt are made from linen.

I added some vintage lace across the top of the pockets.







For the suspenders I  used Simplicity 8755. I didn't use this pattern for the rest of the skirt because it is a size too big. I thought the suspenders would be fine but they are too wide and I need to cut them down but I am out of sewing time for this week. My oldest turns 18 (yikes, how did that happen?!) and we will be hosting dinner for about 25 family members and friends Friday night so I need to get ready for that. Usually with older patterns they are already cut out but this one was still factory folded. I used Simple Simon and Co. Vintagely Modern Skirt tutorial for the skirt dimensions. You can go here to see all of the creative and beautiful clothes the sew-alongers have made this week. I love to see what all the others make and Project Run and Play is a great show and share forum. It has been a lot of fun sewing along the past 4 weeks but i think I will make a quilt or a non-clothing item next week. :) 
                                                              

11 comments:

  1. Your little daughters are beautiful. And the new dress... it is a little bit unfair, because: I want to sew so cute dress too!!!!! I know, I know... I have to practise :) So nice job, Gina. And so nice and cute pics with your little princesses :) Have a lovely time, Jola

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adorable! The cut reminds me of Alice in Wonderland:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just one of the most sweetest outfits I've ever seen! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photo shoot with the little tea party. The girls look so pretty in their dresses. I love full skirts on little girls! Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pin-tucks (especially on the pockets) and the suspenders! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! The pin-tucks really make such a cute accent on the suspenders and pockets! What a great idea. I can't believe you have an 18 year old! We're not far behind you, but 18 seems so foreign.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful as always! Love the pin tucking, great work. And again with the vintage lace, just perfect:)
    Birthday wishes to E!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable---all the little details---the fabric choices and the trim make it wonderful!
    -liZ

    ReplyDelete