Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Sweet Strawberries

I love strawberries. They are sweet, cute, and happy :). I have a little strawberry collection of some vintage salt/pepper shakers, tea cups, pitcher, knick knacks, and a tablecloth. One of my girls is my Strawberry Girl so if there is a shirt, or pajamas, or undies with a strawberry on them she gets them. I was ecstatic Heather Ross, one of my favorite fabric designers, designed a line Briar Rose with lots of cute strawberries.

I will definitely be making my Strawberry Girl a quilt  and some clothes from this line. The line will be released in July so I have been planning my projects in my mind and decided that I would like to make some paper pieced strawberries on the quilt back. I emailed my friend who is the queen of paper piecing patterns, Kristy, to see if she might be able to make a strawberry pattern for me and next thing I knew she was asking what size would I like and sending me patterns :)

Kristy made me a block to finish at 6" and a block to finish at 12". I planned to use the small block to make a cushion for my daughter and the large block for her quilt back but I could not wait for July and Briar Rose to be here so I decided to make a large cushion for me with fabric from my stash.

The blocks have taken longer to make than I had anticipated as there are quite a few pieces in the leaf and stem sections but that is o.k. because I love these little berries. It is the little things in life that make me happy.  In the end the cushion will be 3 squares by 3 squares to be 18x18. I am linking up with freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday today.
                                                              GRAB A BUTTON

11 comments:

  1. Love the fabric choices! They look perfect Gina, I can't wait to see them in Briar Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet strawberries. Punnet intended!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those strawberries have me smiling ear to ear! SO cute! GREAT fabric choices, I am really loving all those words for the background...I feel inspired!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are looking so great G! I love the fabric choices you're using - perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love strawberry fabrics! blocks, even better. they look so cute with the text prints.

    ps, i'm mommy to 2 boys, 5 girls. we were a 6 pack just like yours until we added the seventh wonder 18 months ago. bless you! happy scrapping, quilting, etc. do you dabble in each or tend to rotate? i'm in a quilt mode right now and haven't scrapped in too long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are absolutely darling!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh these are just.too.cute. I am super excited about the strawberries in Briar rose too, may have to complement them with some clovers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Gina, the strawberries blocks are so pretty, cute, lovely... so nice! :)

    As I can see below - you are sooo busy!! I am so lazy in this time :) We have so high temperature - 89 F! It is too high for us - Central European people :) We are really tired. It should continue to the end of this week. The weather is really unusual in this year.

    Have a wonderful and creative time, Gina :) J.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're so sweet Gina!! I can't wait to see what you do with Briar Rose!

    ReplyDelete