Thursday, June 6, 2013

Wombat Stew Here I Come!

June marks the first month that I am a member of Wombat Stew, a paper piecing bee ,  which is a group of Australian girls. Six of the girls have been together for 1 round already but for this 2nd round they have added 2 more to the group, 1 of which is lucky me! The group includes Kristy, my paper piecing pattern making guru friend;  Alyce, who is currently living in Japan; Fiona who blogs at Finding Fifth; Gemma, who currently lives in Noumea; Jane who blogs at Where Jane Creates; Lara who blogs at Luellabella; Marieka who blogs at Bespoke Bites; and last , but not least is Melissa who blogs at Ms. Midge and is new to the group as well. Everyone gets a turn to be Queen Wombat for a month and chooses a theme which we will all make a block for. Midge was the one to kick off this second round and she chose to do a paper pieced block from Quilt Jane which can be found here.  Kristy modified the block a bit, so we made the same block but put it together in a different way. Midge asked for a black and white center and requested black homespun (or a similar solid), then low volume fabrics around the outside. The rest was up to us; her only request was that it be bright. I used a mix of Art Gallery and Michael Miller prints. I built the block around my favorite LillyBelle print by Bari j. and the low volume prints are from Angela Water's Texture line from Art Gallery which came from sweet Amanda who owns one of my favorite Etsy stores Westwood Acres. I am really looking forward to being a part of this group and having fun paper piecing!!

This past week we (I) have been adjusting to summer schedule and having the kids out of school. It is going to be a juggling act trying to find balance between meeting the needs of the kids and their social agendas, keeping up with meals and chores, and finding a bit of time to fit in some sewing. It always takes a couple of weeks to find a rhythm but I have pulled a little stack of fabric for my next project which is another paper pieced block. I have decided this will be a summer of small projects which may be easier for me to complete. I guess that is how quilts are completed anyways, one block at a time :). Hope your summer (or winter for my Aussie friends) is off to a fun start!

Linking up to Kristy's Paper Piecing Party!
                                                  Paper Piecing Party

7 comments:

  1. Your new block is great!!! Really lovely job! And fabrics for new projects look very nice!! :)

    Have a great time!! Jola :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! That block looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like if I learned to quilt I would unlock the secrets of life.like the karate kid learned to wax on, wax off.

    When do you get to be Queen? Do you guys put all your blocks together to make one quilt? Do quilters save their blocks until they have enough for a whole quilt? Or just do blocks for fun, then maybe pick it up & turn it I to a quilt later? I guess the blocks look good in pillows and things too. I'm trying to get all your secrets!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your block turned out so beautifully! Just love it!

    Beautiful stack of fabrics for your next project too - look forward to seeing what you make with it.

    I think small projects sound like a good plan over Summer - one step at a time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous job!!! So glad to have you on board :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful block Gina!
    I love that Lilly Belle print too. I've had a stack pulled to make a quilt based around it since last summer and like always just can't decide what pattern i want to use!
    Delicious little stack as well, can't wait to see what you're up to with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gina so wonderful to have you on board. I am looking forward to what theme you come up with for July. Your June block above is great for me to bounce my fabric selections off. I am hoping to make mine this week.

    ReplyDelete