Monday, July 22, 2013

Quite the Pear

In the interim of deciding on fabric for a quilt back I wanted to do a quick, fun project. I have made a number of tea towels in the past so opted to make another and a set of matching hot pad holders too. I have wanted to make a selvedge project for about forever so I brought my little bag of selvedges out. I have always loved selvedges but have only started saving them recently and my pile has been slow to grow. After this project I am addicted to selvedges and may have to resort to cutting the selvedges off before I use the fabric which I haven't done. I like to leave the selvedge until the fabric is scraps so I can recall the line it was from.

The tea towel is approximately 12x24". I used an apple template from a Mc Call's quilting magazine to cut the Architextures and muslin apple parts and applique to the linen. I love to hand stitch so embroidered a stem and around the apple as well as the seeds.

I backed it with a fun apple and pear print and finished it off with a running stitch around the edges.

For the hot pad holders I laid a hot pad holder I already had on top of the Insul-Bright to cut the pattern out then used that to cut the fabric. For the selvedge pad I used a quilt as you go method laying a small piece of fabric in one corner then laying a selvedge with 1/4" overlap and stitching down continuing up the pad flipping it over after each line of stitching to make sure the back was smooth. I used a few pins in the beginning to secure the Insul-Bright and backing together. I am linking up today with Better Off Thread for Sew Cute Tuesday where you can check out all sorts of cute projects!!
                                                         Better Off Thread

11 comments:

  1. Love love love them all Gina. Super cute work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol where's the Pin It button?! I love your selvedge potholder Gina! That's just cool, & kinda funky. I wonder what else could be done with those? I need a selvedge project now...I'm saving mine from now on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an adorable set! You did such a great job on all of those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!! Love that tea towel, the apple is perfect! And your pot holders... awesome! Love the selveges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect project for a Sew Cute link up! Love the selvages and the hand stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following from the Sew Cute Tuesday Linky Party. Such a lovely gift idea. I really should make a few to put away in my cupboard for those emergency gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just adorable! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are to die for! Love your apple, I can't believe how neat your embroidery is. And you've given me the perfect idea for a gift - pot holders!! Off to buy some insul-bright now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So Cute! I especially love the apple applique linen towel. What great gift ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these! A perfect summer project and a perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete