Tuesday, July 2, 2013

WIP Wednesday: "Being Sweet Keeps Me Out of Jams" Cushion


I love strawberries and have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of Briar Rose.  I am planning a quilt to make with Briar Rose and was wanting to add some paper pieced strawberries for the quilt back. Sweet Kristy kindly made me a cute strawberry pattern and I had to give it a trial run before Briar Rose arrives so I made myself a cushion.

I thought this would be a quick project but with summer in full swing here and the kids out of school there has not been much time for sewing so it took me much longer than I had anticipated. As well as the strawberry pattern Kristy also sent along a sweet berry blossom pattern, too. :)

I love both of these patterns and they will see a lot of use. (Thanks Kristy!!) My favorite combo lately has been brights with a low volume background and I do love text prints. For the quilting I went a 1/4 inch along the vertical and horizontal block seams and then on the diagonal as well just for fun. I backed it with a Michael Miller strawberry print.
In between sewing berries I marked half of my rectangles for my Field Study quilt.

They are pinned together (a Field Study print to an Essex linen rectangle) but I need to do the same for the other half of rectangles. I am ready to move full steam ahead on this project now. I am linking up with Freshly Pieced where there are all kinds of awesome projects to check out. 
                                                             GRAB A BUTTON 

19 comments:

  1. Your cushion is gorgeous Gina, beautifully done and such wonderful fabrics choices too,

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute pillow. Love your straberries and the fabrics you have well Chosen for this Beauty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cushion you made is adorable and the little ladybug you added to the flower leaf is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just adore your cushion G! It turned out so so beautifully!

    Looking forward to seeing how your Field Study quilt comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina, it is wonderful result!!! So lovely cushion! I believe, you have to be really happy - you love strawberries and now you can put your head on sweet strawberries too :) J.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that cushion! Absolutely gorgeous!!! Well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!!!! This is amazing Gina! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable!!! My daughter loves Strawberry Shortcake, so it would be perfect for her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous cushion Gina!! It's perfect, and the addition of the little flower just makes it that much more so. Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that cushion is so sweet! adorable and so summery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful, like all your sweet quilting projects!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those strawberries are so sweet, and they will look perfect with Briar Rose (I can't wait for my pre-order to arrive!). Do you know if the Strawberry and blossom patterns are available for purchase, or were they made exclusively for you? I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh seriously, that is the cutest pillow I think I have ever seen! That is gorgeous!

    I am stopping by from the WIP hop, hop on by if you can http://domesticdeficitdisorder.blogspot.com/2013/07/wip-wednesday-july-3rd-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. your strawberry cushion is sooo sweet!
    hope you are enjoying your summer with your children.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, gina, it turned out so pretty! i just love the background text fabrics with the strawberries and that blossom.

    i have some field study i'll be diving into once summer is over. i hope!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. Your pillow is fabulous. I love the pattern. I love your fabric choices. I LOVE the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Gina! Your straberry pillow is the best! I love tha paper pieced berries and the flower and also the textured background is wonderful! Is Kristy selling the patterns? x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE and ADORE your strawberry pillow! Your fabrics are stunning!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete