Tuesday, July 30, 2013

WIP Wednesday: I Believe in Fairy Tales

GRAB A BUTTON                          

I am in a fun paper piecing bee called Wombat Stew. July is my month to be Queen and I chose Fairy Tales as my theme.

I was a book worm as a kid and this was one of my favorite books.

I love the illustrations, colors, and the gold embossing along the edge of the pages. I can not resist children books with pretty illustrations so I have a nice little collection of books to share with my kids. My 3 year old is a huge fan of Fairy Tales at the moment and the reason I chose it as my theme. My twins are pretty excited about it and have had fun opening the mail to find blocks from the Wombat girls.

I used this book as my inspiration to make the beginning and ending blocks for my Fairy Tale quilt. I did some stamping and used some iron ons and am working on finishing up some embroidery on these blocks. Kristy designed these open book blocks.
Kristy also designed this Thumbelina block. {Actually, she designed every block in this post :)}. I was able to put this block together this week and Cinderella is next!

I am so excited about this quilt and having fun putting it together!! It has been amazing every time one of the Wombats finish a block I have a new favorite. It is so fun to see the fabrics chosen and how they are each so perfectly made in a way I would not thought of or with fabric I don't have. Two blocks have made their way across the ocean; I loved them through the computer screen and i love them even more in real life. Kristy made the Rapunzel block and The Three Bears was made by Midge. Happy Wednesday! I am linking up with Freshly Pieced where people link up all kinds of inspirational projects every week!!
                                                                                                  



18 comments:

  1. This is so so so cute, it will look amazing! Visiting from Freshly Pieced!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These paper pieced blocks look great and so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving how these are coming together! It's going to be such a fabulous quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's going to be an awesome quilt! I love that book :) gorgeous blocks, what a great theme choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so adorable and will make such a treasured quilt! I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these blocks SO much! What a fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful and what a great theme!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous! Love the book end blocks Gina! You did a fab job on them... and Thumbelina is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable and so very creative!! Your family will treasure this quilt for a long time.
    val from myplvl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, those are really cool, my favorite is the Rapunzel one. I bet Cinderella is going to be gorgeous!


    I am stopping by from the WIP hop, hop on by if you get the chance :) http://domesticdeficitdisorder.blogspot.com/2013/07/wip-wednesday-july-31st-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I believe too! :)
    The blocks are so adorable!!! It will be wonderful to read your lovely old book and keep "fairy tale quilt" over legs :)
    Have a wonderful time!!! Jola *

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great comment Jola. I am so glad you chose this theme. These patterns are all so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, wow and wow - what a brilliant project. I love the blocks - this is going to be an amazing quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Before I read your blog I didn't realize quilts could tell little stories and be so meaningful. If I ever quilt, I'm going to make a city with roads that the boys can drive their cars around on. I'm dying over this one Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this is a brilliant idea! I love how you made the book "ends". I had thought of using stamping but haven't tried it, being unsure of how safe the inks would be long term. I love each of these paper pieced blocks, they are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gina you are so talented. These blocks ares stunning. I can't wait to see the finished piece. You are a phenomenal seamstress. Hugs from VA!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute project! I would love to see those blocks in my mailbox too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So very cool! This quilt is already off to am amazing start! I look forward to the finished quilt! : )

    ReplyDelete