Friday, August 9, 2013

Flashback Friday:The Inevitable

This boy of mine has now had three graduations: kindergarten, 8th grade, and 12th grade. We have so many good memories and, of course, of a few bumps in the road too. I always wanted to be a mom and when I imagined how it would be I thought of holidays, birthdays, vacations, and the everyday of being together. I also thought of school activities and sports, games, and their friends. 
We have come to a milestone that I never gave much thought to, although I knew the day would eventually come. The day that he goes off to college and is no longer a part of the day to day activities in our home. I am excited and happy for him as he goes into this part of adulthood to succeed and fail and learn and grow but I am kind of (well, maybe a lot) sad for me. I will miss his smiles and wrestling matches. I will miss lying in bed at night and hearing the pantry door squeak when he gets a snack. I will miss the squeaking sound of his brakes as he pulls into the garage each night. I will miss his friends. I will miss waiting up for him and our late night talks about his day. I will miss his enthusiasm. I will miss him.
So, dear son, we are proud of you and wish you the best as you leave us and are excited to see where your path will lead you. Just know that we are all here cheering for you and love you with all of our hearts. Be safe, blaze the way for your siblings, be a good example, and call home at least once a week :)                     xxooxo mom

7 comments:

  1. Ah G! What a bittersweet time! Lots of love and hugs your way. Wishing the very best for your lovely boy as he heads off on the next part of his adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have prepared him well, to do well..but oh my what a transition! It never ceases to take me by surprise, the intimate universal nature of parenthood! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending more hugs and kleenex too! Retail therapy this weekend! Make sure to hit at least one fabric shop while you're away, you know... to make you feel better. And you could always use the fabric to wipe the tears! You'll be fine, and so will he :)
    Best to E on his new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to you all with this transition. It's so much better than when we went off to college. With texting and skype, I'm in contact with my daughter almost every day while she's at school. I love snip's idea to use new fabric to wipe away the tears!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Gina, he's a little cutie. What a good job you've done, and you are right that he's a great example for the littlers. I can only imagine how you must be bursting with pride but also wanting to lock him in a closet for a few more years!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina, your son is very nice young man and you are very proud mom! :) Good luck!! :) J.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You go momma! My boy is 6 months old and I could tear up right now just thinking about him leaving for college someday. Your young man will be home for a visit before you know it if you keep yourself busy and I bet you do! Snips has it right, fabric makes things a little bit easier to bear :) Go get yourself something nice!

    ReplyDelete