Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Plugging Along

The kids are back in school and we are settling into a new routine. I am plugging away on my fairy tale quilt and have finished all the "story" blocks and am working on some "book" blocks. Hansel and Gretel's candy house was made by Marieka. When it arrived the girls thought it looked so yummy they wanted to eat it. They can spot a bee block envelope now and are just as excited as I am to open it!

Here is Jack climbing up the beanstalk. He was a fun block to put together and I think was the quickest bock I made. Jack and the Beanstalk is a favorite story around here.

I had a hard time choosing colors for Snow White. I had just ordered the pretty Japanese floral from  Alyce and it was blue so that was where I started. Kristy had pointed out the Snow White text print so I wanted to work some of that in too. I will be sashing using a text print so I didn't want to use the Snow White text for the shutters or cottage so it had to go behind her which washes out her flesh toned face and hands. I am wondering if a little hand stitching around her face and hands might pop them out a bit. If it doesn't I can always tear out the stitches. Then I embroidered some flowers in the planter below her and the apple stem. It is a bit of a dark block with all the brown but she seems to mix with the other blocks just fine.

Can you guess what fairy tale this is? Yes, that is an Ugly Duckling mixed in with the cute yellow ones. This was another pretty simple block but it took me scads of time since I used a directional print and wanted all the waves pointing up. The blue and ray were difficult to photograph.
I remade these 2 blocks after I talked to Karen. I had used StazOn ink on the first set of blocks because it is a permanent ink but I didn't think about whether or not it was archival safe. After consulting Google I found out it is possible this ink may break down the fabric fiber. I don't want this quilt to end up with holes in it at some point in the future so I have remade them and am only using fabric safe ink on them this round as remaking what I have already done is not a favorite thing to do, but holey quilts are not my favorite either :). 

I used a little gold fabric paint and am currently working on the embroidery then I will do a little stamping. Every block pattern in todays post was drawn up by the fabulous Kristy to whom I will always be indebted!! Happy Wednesday!! Have fun checking out all the other works-in-progress over at Freshly Pieced.
                                                                                                                                       
                                                                                                                                                              

12 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your stamping and embroidery on the book blocks! Frustrating to have to redo them but at least you found out early and not after you'd put the whole quilt together. Wouldn't that have been a nightmare!

    This is going to be such a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina each block is a work of art, so unique and interesting - and well made. As much as it's a bother to redo those two stamped blocks, I'm sure you'll never regret it.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're all looking fantastic Gina! Your embroidery work is just beautiful and i love the added gold!
    The Sarah Jane cloud print for Jack... perfect!
    And to piece like that to have all your waves pointing up, so worth the effort! Such cute little duckies!
    I think Snow White looks good! Once you put her face on it will make all the difference!
    This is going to be such a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your hand embroidered flowers! I agree...with so many hours invested in this quilt you can't afford holes later. This thing is a masterpiece!!

    P.S. what's sashing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina, each block is very very nice!!!! and I realy like your embroidery!!!

    I looked at your blocks again and I have to say, that I very like the connection between old fairy stories and modern print of fabrics :)

    Have a great time :) Jola

    ReplyDelete
  6. how absolutely intricate and beautiful! snow white has me swooning.

    good call on redoing with a better ink. not fun, but neither are quilt holes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous blocks it will look fabulous when they are all together. Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love quilts with so much meaning and the blocks are amazining!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your paper pieced blocks are so cute! What fun patterns to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Gina these fairytale blocks are looking amazing! Yes I think a little embroidery will bring out Snow White's face and hands beautifully and I love the hand embroidered flowers you added to the basket. Can I ask what the cloud/animal shape fabric is that you used on the Jack and the Beanstalk block? It's too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pain to redo the blocks but undoubtedly worth it in the long run. This will be such a fabulous quilt when it is finished!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is seriously going to be THE most gorgeous quilt EVER!

    ReplyDelete