Wednesday, September 18, 2013

WIP Wednesday: Building Blocks

I am making headway on the fairy tale quilt thanks to my bee mates! Gemma designed, made, and sent me this darling  Princess and the Pea block. I love the colorful stacked mattresses and my girls' favorite part was the pea hidden at the bottom of the mattresses.

Fiona made and sent me a handsome Frog Prince. Kristy designed this pattern and it is one of my favorites; I love how he is peeking up over the rock and Fiona's fabric choices really brings him to life.

Our Wombat Stew group also did an artist trading card (ATC) swap but instead of an ATC Fiona made each of us a zip pouch. The one she made me is perfect and I have been using it to hold some sewing notions and keep it by my sewing machine.

The back is as cute as the front with a selvedge and cute little lone strawberry :)

I have to show you the inside because it is awesome too!

Being in a bee has been a very fun experience and I am so thankful to all the girls for their help in bringing my fairy tale quilt to life. I thought I was close to the finish this past weekend. I needed to feel like I was accomplishing something so I chained pieced some of the sashing on. I tried a couple different layouts and realized I needed a couple more fairy tale blocks. Kristy to the rescue and she  kindly made 2 more for me. Now I will be able to fill out the bottom row with the 2 new blocks. The castle is not quite as tall or wide as 2 blocks so I am still thinking about how I will fill in that space.

When I started this quilt I did not have a clear picture of how it would turn out. I started out with a list of my top 10 fairy tales and then it became 12 and now 15. Back at the beginning Kristy had designed an open book block (which I am using at the beginning and the end) as well as a book stack block to use as fillers. I made a couple of the book stack blocks this week. My plan is to have each of the fairy tales used in the quilt also be represented by a book. Here I have The Three Pigs, after some applique the blue one will be Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, and then Princess and the Pea.


This next book block has Hansel and Gretel, a little girl reading,  the brown one will become Goldilocks and the 3 Bears after some applique, and the last one will become Thumbelina.
Lastly, this is one of the 2 new patterns Kristy made for me this weekCan you guess who it is? Yes, it is Puss in Boots. I thought Kristy was pretty clever the way she chose to design this block with the kitty looking up at his boots and think he is a pretty cute cat. It was a fun block to put together!! That's what is going on in my world this week. I can't wait to see what everyone else has been doing over at Freshly Pieced!
                                                                                                                                     

14 comments:

  1. I am just loving how this is coming together! The fussy cutting for the book shelf blocks looks fabulous!

    Fiona got your ATC pouch perfect ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh-my-goodness I can hardly contain myself!!! The fairytale quilt is looking amazing :) How about adding some creeping vines (ala sleeping beauty style) around the castle to help with the width and height? PS I love touch of strawberries that were added to the pouch you received.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the favoritest quilt I've ever seen. All the detail on the books- wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, just wow! I'm loving the addition of the book stack blocks, they are going to be perfect in with the rest! And your Puss in Boots block is way too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Your blocks are fantastic! I love all of them and the fairy tail theme is so cute! Your quilt is going to be amazing! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool quilt! It's looking really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love what it looks like sofar. This is going to be one awesome quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! This is a keeper for sure! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the mermaid and the princess and the pea block. It's so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow, I love these! Great idea, this is going to be an awesome quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gina, I love each of your blocks! They look really very very nice! It will be wonderful quilt!
    Jola

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love everything about this Gina!

    ReplyDelete