Wednesday, September 4, 2013

WIP Wednesday: Sewing Everything Except Fairy Tale Blocks

I had to put down my fairy tale quilt this week and do some other sewing.  Actually, I made these trivets last month for my friend's birthday. After traveling on trains, planes, and automobiles the past couple of weeks they arrived on her door step yesterday on her actual birthday. Yay for good timing!

I count her as one of my best friend's even though we are continents away. She loves birds so when I saw this Cloud 9 print in her favorite colors I knew I would use it on the back of the tea towel and use it to inspire the front design too.

I used this tute from Lee at Freshly Pieced to make the Hexing Around Block (the large trivet). It was a case of read it, make it sometime later without re- reading the tutorial, and not make it exactly the way the tutorial said. I should know better than leaving the fate of a potholder in my memory's hands.  It is a log cabin hexie and a little out symmetry. The pot holder/ tea towel has become a go to gift for me since they are fun to make and can be customized for the intended recipient.

Basketball season is in our near future and my son has certain game day rituals one of them being a certain shirt he wears under his jersey. He has worn the same one for all of middle school so needed an update for high school. His nick name is Super and his school colors are red and black so this was a good fit. Except he didn't want sleeves. I removed the sleeves and just need to stitch the seam up.


I cut this dress out waaay back at the beginning of summer but then became caught up in so many quilt plans. So it sat. And sat. Then I got the opportunity to do a guest post at Sew Cool for the Tween Scene and thought it would be great to make this dress for my twins as a part of that post.
I used the Oliver + S Roller Skate dress pattern but instead of putting a casing on the inside of the dress I used some vintage lace that my friend Nicole sent me (thanks Nicole!!! I love it!). I put some fray check on the ends of the lace and the basically hemmed the ends so the raw edge was not exposed. From the center I measured a half an inch to the the right and to the left and used these as the starting and ending points. My inspiration for this dress was a picture on the front of a Japanese sewing book.

The dress is made with a tissue linen and lined with a white voile and finished it with a satin cording tie. Cool and comfortable! Oliver + S are always great patterns and you can never go wrong with them. If you are wondering about sizing I have made this pattern 2x for one of my younger girls and it ran true to size.  One of my twins wears a 10 slim and the other an 8 slim. I made this in a size 10 hoping that because of the style they could both wear it but it was too short for my daughter that wears the 10 but as you can see, it is a good length for my size 8 girl.

It is Wednesday so I am linking up with Freshly Pieced!
                                                                                                        
 

11 comments:

  1. Some beautiful finishes here and quite satisfying too by the look of it. The colours in your friend's birthday gifts are delightful and how wonderful that it arrived on THE day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder you haven't had time to do the fairytale quilt, you've been too busy being a fabulous friend and mum :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that bird print too! Nice gifts and on time too? You're a magician! Love that pretty dress on your girl. I am tempted by the new O&S fall patterns they just released...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that little bird you made and am impressed with that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what cute stuff you sent your friend :) how was it working with that slick shirt material? I have troubles with stuff like that.
    xoxo melzie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the little kitchens stitches! That tea towel is perfect and i love the trivets! Gorgeous colour palette!
    And you know i love that dress! I'm so glad you were able to use the vintage lace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been busy the teatowel is lovely and I can sympathise totally with your memory issues with the hexie trivet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely adore my gifts G! You are so sweet and thoughtful - and I totally love you to pieces too! Thank you so much for making my day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful tween Rollerskate dress! The casing on the outside is lovely and you're right, you can never go wrong with O+S patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It took me forever to get here, because I wanted time to ogle all your goodies. (Um...that came out wrong...?) anyways, I loved your post over at the Tween Scene, and love your dress! What beautiful gifts for your friend too! Hope you had a great weekend and the party went well. :)

    ReplyDelete