Friday, October 25, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival: My Happily Ever After

                                             AmysCreativeSide
I decided to have a bit of fun and participate in the Blogger's Quilt Festival hosted by Amy's Creative Side. I can not imagine what a huge undertaking it must be to host this event and I am thankful that she does. There is so much inspiration and fun in looking through the quilts and the reading about the story behind the quilts. Thank you for visiting me! Here is my story:

Once upon a time there was a girl who liked to scrap book. She went to the craft store to look at the scrap book supplies but got distracted by the fabric. The colors and prints were so pretty and set the wheels of her mind whirling with all the possibilities of things to create from those bolts of fabric. She bought a few quarter yards and thought I will learn to sew. She began making dresses for her little girls which was so much fun but each dress only required 1 or 2 maybe 3 prints of fabric and there were so many prints calling her. She decided to make a quilt. Her making led to flickr, which led to blogging, which led to making friends, which led to being in a bee called Wombat Stew. They (we) are a group of Australian Girls except me. I am an American-honorary-Australian :). Not only are these girls talented and creative, they are also wonderful friends! I was Queen Wombat in July. I had dreamed of making a fairy tale quilt; my 2 youngest love to be read to and fairy tales are their favorite genre. I chose fairy tales to be my theme for the month.

               

I sent Kristy a list of my girls' favorite fairy tales along with some inspiration photos and she created all but 2 of the block patterns. Midge made the Three Bears. My girls love the kite in the window.

Marieka made Hansel and Gretel's candy house. When this block arrived my girls wanted to eat it.

Gemma designed and made this Princess and the Pea block. The pea at the bottom of the mattresses captured my girls' attention.

In addition to designing the blocks, Kristy, made this Rapunzel block for me. It was the first block to arrive and the girls declared it their favorite. Tangled is a favorite movie at our house.

The Little Mermaid was made by Jane. The girls love how it looks like she has a strand of pearls wrapped in her hair, her perfect mermaid tail, and we can hear the water softly lapping the rock Mermaid is sitting on.


Alyce created the idyllic fairy tale castle when she created this pattern and block! It is huge measuring approximately 18 1/2 by 22 1/2 if my memory serves me correctly. You can visit her blog or past posts of mine for some close ups of this block. It features Little Red Riding Hood, some Princesses, a girl reading (must be a fairy tale we can only assume), and a magical tree. The other quilt blocks were 12 1/2 inches square so Kristy created a vine to go along side of the castle to make it the size of 2 blocks. My girls would like to live inside this block!

Sweet Little Red Riding Hood was made by the sweet Lara. My girls love this block and the golden highlights in Little Red's hair. My four year old always asks, "Where is the wolf?"
The last block made by a bee mate is the Frog Prince and was brought to life by Fiona. She used special fabric to make him which is very vibrant and the blue sky behind him is so full of depth with varied hues of color and some purple in there, too, which ties in nicely with the rock he is leaning over. My girls love his smile and crown :)

I made the rest of the blocks which was 20 and it took roughly 3 and 1/2 months for me to complete it. Fairy tales in the quilt (besides the ones i have mentioned) are: Cinderella, Snow White, Thumbelina, The Three Pigs, Aladdin, Puss in Boots, Sleeping Beauty, Jack and the Bean Stalk, and the Ugly Duckling. I am so grateful to my Bee for helping me bring this thought in my head to life as it is something I would not have done on my own. All of Kristy's patterns are available in her Craftsy Shop.
The backing was made from some whimsical flannels in my stash: kites floating in the sky, a light pink, and a cute ladybug print for the ground since ladybugs are a favorite around here (did you see how the girls tucked in 2 ladybugs into the Rapunzel and castle blocks?). The binding is a coral colored flannel. I sashed it with Madrona Road text to carry on the story theme. The open and closed book blocks along the top and bottom rows also reiterate the story theme.
Some tears were shed the first night when only one of the girls got to sleep with it. We worked out a deal for the 2 and 4 year olds to alternate nights sleeping with it but so far it hasn't left my four year olds bed and the 2 year old hasn't fussed about it. It has proven to be comfy-cozy, roasty-toasty and the quilt has been snuggled well!

And we are all living "Happily Ever After!"

Quilt Stats:
70 1/2 x 82 1/2
Made by Wombat Stew
Quilt top is completely paper pieced
made for 2 of my girls
16 fairy tales and a castle represented 
used 100's of different fabrics

28 comments:

  1. Definitely one of my most favourite quilts ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this quilt. The toes peeping out of the bottom of the quilt is a great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just gorgeous Gina! Love all of it - especially the photo with those clean, cute little feet poking out form under Happily Ever After.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I SO love this quilt - I think I might have told you once or twice before (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt is just fabulous!!! I'm jealous of your girls, 'cause I love fairy tales too and would totally LOVE a quilt like this for me. :) Such a wonderful collaboration as well. Quilty friends are the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a wonderful quilt! And that picture with the toes is the cutest thing ever :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could look at this quilt every day and still finding something new to love about it every time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just so fabulous! Such a clever use of others talents, too. I love that photo with the wee toes sticking out.

    P.S. I just did my own entry and came to look at everyone elses. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit to also using a story format - great minds and all that! But it might look a bit like I copied you, I didn't, honest! *g*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happily ever after, indeed! I so enjoyed reading the complete story! It is a fabulous life quilt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea, and what a great group of bee ladies! I love this and the colors work together so well, I can't believe it came from so many places!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love love love love love love LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your quilt story! I did not realised before that some of the blocks were made by other bees. What a great idea! Very special!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a fairy-tale heaven! Great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll never get tired of telling you how amazing this quilt is! I love the footsie pic. Frame worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, it is truth - your quilt is wonderful!!! :)
    ***

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous post! Your quilt is just delightful! I love it --and the wee toes

    ReplyDelete
  17. A gorgeous and delightful quilt for your girls! I love your label, too .... sew sweet.
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely adorable! What a wonderfully themed quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This quilt is just astounding. You lot have made a really fantastic bee! You're all very talented and really good to each other. It's really beautiful, Gina! Your daughters are very lucky (and you too, to get to keep seeing it every day!).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous quilt! I can see why your little ones cherish it so much!n

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is an awesome quilt, full of love and whimsy... Don't get much better than that!! A cherished heirloom for years to come.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just saw the results - congratulations on your win for this truly amazing quilt. I am so thrilled for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just saw the Blogger Festival results! Congratulations!!! I am so thrilled for you! Your quilt truly is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations!! This is such a sweet quilt! My nieces would have fought over it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. A beautiful quilt, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations! So pleased this quilt won, it's very special!

    ReplyDelete