Wednesday, October 9, 2013

WIP: Little Sewing and Big Basting

My go to gift these days is a tea towel and a trivet so when i wanted to make a thank you gift for a swap hostess I went with a tea towel.
The strawberries are wool felt and i embroidered the leaves and "sweet" then stitched around the edge with embroidery floss. The red dot is a Tanya Whelan print and the back is a Michael Miller print from 2 or 3 years back that I wish I had more of! I have had so much fun customizing tea towels for the friends I have made them for.

Over the weekend I made my do.Good Stitches Cheer circle blocks for October.

Our quilter asked for wonky stars using this tutorial. She wanted 2 fabrics to be used: one for the star and one for the background.

I have made this block before and these were every bit as fun to make as the first time. Someday I will make a whole quilt with wonky stars. Hope your week is off to a great start!
Today this is what is happening. Working on doodling a sprout/beanstalk design that I can translate into the quilting on the fairy tale quilt. Yes! The fairy tale quilt top is finished and I will share it once the quilting is done.

Marking some straight lines to give me some boundaries for my sprouts  so I can baste this quilt and get on with the quilting. But, first things first. Happy Wednesday! Head over to Freshly Pieced and check out all kinds of fun things people are making!!
                                                            WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
                                                                                                           

17 comments:

  1. Love your strawberry tea towel G! It's gorgeous!

    I have my little birdie towel on display in my kitchen and it makes me smile whenever I see it :)

    I'm cheering you on for the big quilting undertaking!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute tea towel, what a great gift.

    Enjoy quilting your beanstalks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything! Nothing unusual there! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tea towel looks yummy! Good luck with all the quilting ... may your stitches run true :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your bean stalk block, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fairy tale quilt looks so sweet. Loving that bean stalk : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I am so glad to see the "finished" quilt!!! I can´t wait to see the result :)
    Your strawberry tea towel is so cute!! I love the embroidery and felt apliccation. Really so nice present! And wonky stars... :) :) It is funny sewing, isn´t it? :)
    Have a nice day! Jola

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the tea towel!!!
    Since uouyou asked, I have been thinking about your quilting. I am glad you are doing some straight line. I think stipple would muddle the pictures because it tends to crinkle up the quilt. I'd probably go with some straight line and accent echo quilting. Maybe stipple in the open spaces, but not over your figures. Just my thoughts!

    I love the choice of text print for the sashing - so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the strawberry, a blast from my past! When I was in college, my first apt was in strawberry decor. My friends called it the strawberry patch! Still have many of those handmade items.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sweet tea towel and can't wait to see the fairy tale quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your strawberry tea towel is simply gorgeous! I love every delicious detail about it. And am loving your wonky stars, and the peeks at your fairytale quilt!! You select such pretty fabrics!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is there no limits to your awesomeness! Seriously, that tea towel is fantastic! Such a wonderful gift! So excited about the fairy tales quilt, cheering you on as well! And i love your wonky stars, so fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the strawberry details are so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow- you are going to go all out on the quilting too! This thing is a family heirloom! Who gets it- first granddaughter? It's truly amazing. Love your tea towels too. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute strawberries! I can't wait to see the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. the tea towel is super sweet and will be a delightful gift.

    ReplyDelete