Wednesday, October 16, 2013

WIP Wednesday: And They All Lived Happily Ever After. The End!!

Last week I finished putting together my fairy tale quilt top.  As I was finishing this top up I had a quilting debate in my head. Should I send it to a quilter or do it myself? I decided to do it myself because quilting is something I would like to get better at. I love the interest quilting can add to a quilt and how sometimes it can take an o.k. quilt top and transform it into phenomenal but it is not something I enjoy very much and I seem to lack creativity in the quilting department too.

I asked a few of my friends their thoughts on quilting. A couple of the Wombats suggested doing a vine or beanstalk. I thought that was a great idea since it tied in with the fairy tale theme and looked for ideas on Pinterest. I did find some ideas I liked but for one reason or another I didn't think they would work with my quilt. I hemmed and hawed for a couple of days trying to decide what I wanted to do. I had it in my head but couldn't translate it out on the quilt.

Then one day I was looking at fabric and the quilting pattern I was after was staring at me in Allison Harris' Wallflower stem print. That was it. Organic lines with an occasional little leaf here and there. Between sick kids, having my oldest home for the week from college since he is off school for Fall Break, a visit to the pumpkin patch, having friends and family over, and a million other miscellaneous things it took me another week of sewing to do the quilting. I was racing the sun today to finish. 

Then, just as the sun was going down behind the mountains I finished! Unfortunately, there were no tall people home to hold the quilt up. good thing for fences!!


It was a hit!! Both of the little girls love it and enjoyed snuggling under it on the couch. Baby wasn't happy that big sis was going to sleep with it tonight but is looking forward to her turn with it tomorrow :). Just like the story goes, "they all lived happily ever after!"

quilt stats: it's all paper pieced! I was Queen for our Wombat Stew paper piecing bee in July and I chose to do Fairy Tales for my theme. All of the patterns were made by Kristy at Quiet Play except the castle (block and pattern) was made by Alyce at Blossom Heart Quilts. Princess and the Pea (block and pattern) made by Gemma at Pretty Bobbins. Mermaid was made by JaneKristy made Rapunzel; Lara made Little Red; Fiona made the Frog Prince; Marieka; and last, but certainly not least, Midge made the Three Bears. I am so thankful for the help I had in bringing this quilt from a thought in my head to real life :) The rest of the blocks were made by me. The patterns Kristy made can be found in her craftsy shop in a bundle or individually.


Quilt Stats: 

One Quilt measures 82.5"x70.5"
made for Two special girls
The quilt was made over the past Three 1/2 months
I am slow and press every seam. Each block took from 8-12 hrs. (although the book blocks were faster).
30 blocks each finishing at 12"
I stash busted for the backing and binding and used flannels I had on hand
Knots buried: Too many to count. There were 30 on each side of the castle alone.
15 Fairy tales represented
Probably used 100's of different fabrics
Sashing: Madrona Road text to stay in the book theme. The text had a lot of words related to fairy tales and really cute hand drawn hearts.

Any questions? Just ask :). Linking up with Freshly Pieced where all the fun is on Wednesdays!! 
                                                             

27 comments:

  1. Woohoo! It's just beautiful!! You did such an incredible job on putting this together and that's the perfect quilting! Gorgeous!

    I adore that photo of the girls' little toes peeking out underneath the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect in every way! Well done <3 and I'll be cheeky and suggest you also link up to my quilting linky party tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, this is so beautiful and gets your imagination running. I am sure any child would love a quilt like that. I really like your choice of quilting pattern, I think it's just perfect and goes nicely with the beanstalk. Simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Utterly utterly amazing! Love the quilting pattern - just perfect! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm soooo in love with this quilt! You did an amazing and inspiring job on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina!!!! :) The result is wonderful!!!! Your choice of how to quilt was very very good!! I love it!!! WOW!!! :) **

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happily ever after indeed! This is by far one of the most beautiful quilts i've ever seen! Fantastic work Gina, it looks amazing! And fantastic work to all you Wombat gals for helping create this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quilt is gorgeous! Love, love love! I'd love to see some of the blocks up close.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gina, it's so wonderful! Must be such a great feeling to finish this one off, and have it be so well-loved!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously fabulous. This quilt is AMAZING. Can we get some close ups please....

    ReplyDelete
  11. So amazing! This quilt IS happy ever after!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely Lovely Lovely. Well done for quilting it yourself too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh your fairy story quilt is just so adorable! I think you chose the perfect quilting design for it too! Love seeing those little feet sticking out from the quilt! I know those children of yours are going to treasure it for years to come!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Fairy Tale Quilt is gorgeous and delightful! I love the bean stalks, and books, and your vine / leaf quilting!!! The picture of them underneath their quilt, with their little feet showing is so dear! What a treasure you have made for your family!!
    susie

    ReplyDelete
  15. That pic with the kiddos feet captures it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is amazing! I am most definitely making this for my granddaughter!! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh it's fabulous!!! Did you not quilt over the castle?! Wow, I'm impressed at your dedication to quilting, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's wonderful! And so, so cute! I bet your girls just love looking at all those different quilt blocks. I'm sure this quilt will be well-loved for many, many years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been reading all of your posts these past 3.5 months about these quilting blocks and how amazing to see them all together in a very special quilt. I can't believe you fit 15 fairy tales on it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This quilt is insane!!! INSANE. I love it sooo much. I think you made a great decision with organic vines. I don't know the quilting options, but this one seems perfect! I still think this needs to be entered in quilt shows, I could look at it all day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness! This is just so impressive! I love it and all of the details and love that went into it! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness! This is just so impressive! I love it and all of the details and love that went into it! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this quilt SO much. What a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is just so amazing - I have never wanted to straight up copy a quilt exactly before but my girls would be totally in love with this!! What beautful work from all of you! :)

    ReplyDelete