Monday, January 13, 2014

A Little Early or a Little Late?

Back in December when Midge had her Cushion For Christmas Blog Hop I had all kinds  of ideas swirling in my head. I drew out a few ideas; I made one, started this one, and I have 2 more that remain sketches in my notebook.
I knew I wanted a cushion with a Christmas icon and settled on a trio of Christmas carolers inspired by one of my favorite scrap book paper companies and their Christmas line A Very Merry Christmas.
I wanted a vintage modern, fresh Christmas color scheme and looked to my vintage Frosty the Snowman Little Golden book for inspiration. I used Breakers, Kale, Sprout, Wasabi, Punch, and Pale pink Kona cottons along with some wool felt.

Once I had my idea and colors chosen I had to figure out how to turn it into reality. I googled "paper doll body".
I used the figure as a base to fill in the clothes and hair.



I would usually applique fight onto the cushion but this time I cut out a base to make it easier to put the "puzzle pieces" together.


Little by little layer by layer the little carolers came together. The carolers had to have a music background to carry the theme throughout the cushion. 


After the applique was done I stitched rick rack around the edge of the panel and then flipped it to the back to create a scalloped border and finish the edges. Next I appliqued the whole panel to a piece of wool felt and trimmed them with snowballs.

I used a winter kids Alexander Henry print for the back and it finishes at 12x16. I may have been a bit late for Chritmas 2013 but am ahead of schedule for Christmas 2014! Linking up with Alyce for Sew Cute Tuesday.
Sew Cute Tuesday


20 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Gina! That is the cutest Christmas cushion ever!! It is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How darling! It is so sweet. Isn't google wonderful? I did that once for a cardinal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, that's just gorgeous!! You are such a talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! It's as cute as a button :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH. EM. GEE. How freakin gorgeous is that!?!?!?!? Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant cushion Gina, you can never be too early for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cutest. cushion. ever!! This is just beyond adorable G, great work!!
    And definitely early, not late :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gina!!!!!!! It is wonderful pillow!!!! WOW! So nice and very very cute work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! I love this pillow so much. What a fabulous idea. The music note print is perfection. Love everything about it! *gushing over*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe you made that out of fabric! How sweet! I love the prints on back too. I just started following that blog last night so maybe I'll be quilting soon too. (Hahahaahahaha!!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! The carolers are adorable and the trims make it super special.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gina, this is so cute! It's never too late and never too early for Christmas. The choice of fabrics for the front and back is perfect. Love all the details, facial expressions of the little people and the colours. Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything about this cushion is perfect! I can't pick just one thing to compliment-- every element works so well together. The carolers are cute, the music fabric is a perfect background, love the ric-rac and the pom-poms!
    So so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You made the perfect selection of music fabric with white pompoms!

    ReplyDelete
  15. unbelievably cute :-) you are too clever!

    ReplyDelete
  16. In love with your Christmas Pillow... of sweet little carolers! Adorableness!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the pillow.... and the pompom trim is just perfect! Jana

    ReplyDelete