Thursday, January 16, 2014

Another Day Another Cushion

Inspiration for project making can be found anywhere! I was looking for a card at Tiny Prints when I came across this invitation and thought it would be perfect not only as a party invite but as a cushion design. The invite incorporates many of my favorite things: cute, white clouds, happy balloons, and a girl with pig tails.
The invite was a perfect match to a fabric stack I have had in the works for a few months that is waiting to be turned into a quilt for my youngest daughter. This quilt is down a ways on my to do list but I decided a matching cushion was needed.

One of the fabric prints even has a girl with balloons.
I set out once again with felt, fabric, and Wonder Under to applique the design.The front panel did not turn out as bright as I had anticipated so I added a white border and bound it in sunshine. The white did brighten it up.
I finished around the clouds and the panel with a running stitch.



I put this piece of Amy Butler fabric that I have had forever to work for the backing. If you squint the round things can look like balloons, don't you think? If you don't squint they look like eyeballs or stuffed olives. This is one case where I think squinting is good :)
My daughter has run off with her new pillow so I guess I am not going to be able to count that as a birthday gift (her birthday is a few months away). She thinks the girl on the front is her. Have you found any inspiration in an unexpected place lately? Linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation.
                                                         










21 comments:

  1. How Sweet!! Did you match her little shirt for this picture, or is your life just this coordinated!!! What a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet is that?! And I don't blame her for taking it and running!!! I would want it right away too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is going to be so sweet!! Your little girl is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, the girl on the front is your little daughter!!! Yes! :) Gina, you are awesome! Another charming pillow! Jola

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I love your combination of cotton, embroidery and felt. It adds just the right texture in all the right places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything you do is always so lovely and full of heart and your choice in fabrics makes me wish I had better sewing skills, Gina. Love everything you create!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO. Stinking. Cute! I'd steal it too. My birthday is coming up....in six months haha

    Very nice work. I love this pillow. Love the fabric choices - that white on white border is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the cushion queen G! This one is absolutely adorable! Though not as adorable as your little gal.
    And i love that stack! Can't wait to see it in the works :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The little girl on the front totally IS her. I can tell:)
    I love the amy Buttler eyeball print:) someday you should snap some photos of the felt & wonder under process for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I told you you were clever :-) You should start selling these designs as patterns - they are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute G! And even better when it's loved so much by your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Far out you are a clever lady! I'm still yet to make a cushion for us..... BUT, I did go to Spotlight (chain fabric store) tonight, and got some gorgeous black and white fabric on sale for a cushion. So I may have one soon! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, without a doubt that is your daughter on the cushion! I can't decide which to hug first!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great cushion Gina, you were definitely inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a sweet pillow, and I do think that fabric is just perfect for the backing!

    Thanks so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  16. Precious and gloriously lovely!!! I need to make me some pillows. You have such sweet taste in fabric. Happy Quilting and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This pillow is a delight! Your little girl will be your daughter in a few years... You have made another gorgeous and one -of- a -kind pillow!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cute pillow for a little girl! Love your choice of fabrics, the yellow/white border makes the applique pop out even more. I got once inspired by drawings in a calendar I was given. Unexpected inspirations are the best. :-)

    ReplyDelete