Tuesday, January 21, 2014

New Year Freshen Up


When the seasons change I clean out closets. When the year changes I like to start with a clean slate and freshen things up. The girls' tea table chairs had been driving me a bit crazy. It had been 2 or three years since I had recovered them and they were looking a bit shabby. On a whim one night I went to the garage, got the staple gun, and in 10 minutes had a brand new set of chairs.

I think I love using the staple gun as much as I enjoy the new chairs! I didn't snap a "before" picture but I am sure you can imagine what they looked like when they are used by 4 toddlers/children every day for tea parties, coloring, and occasional eating.
My husband bought this wooden rocking horse at a garage sale this past summer and I new he would be getting a make over. He is a popular toy so I had to wait for the novelty of him to wear off before I could steal him away to the garage for painting. Six months later I finally got my chance.
I saw a wooden {vintage} rocking horse that had been painted in my favorite colors and went with that color scheme. I used Behr Jovial, Chili Pepper, and Mermaid song. I have been toying with the idea of adding gold polka dots to the seat but I think I will leave it as is.

 I kind of love it and am thinking about painting my daughter's wood rocking chair, too, or the doll house, or.... Painting is fun! Actually, I do not enjoy painting very much, or at least the prep work, but I do enjoy the end result and I love color! 


Kid tested and approved :)


15 comments:

  1. I had no idea you were so crafty! I know you make a mean lasagne, modernize chickens like a pro, are a freelance design consultant (at least for me...)

    But painting & staple gunning? Who knew?

    PS I love those colors together too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tea table set is adorable! You picked the perfect fabric for it. No wonder you were so excited about it! Gorgeous!

    And love the revamp of the rocking horse! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great revamps Gina, the tea table is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, love the colour palette for the rocking horse, it looks awesome! Now i want to paint the boys rocking moose, though i don't think they would approve of these colours :)
    And the tea table and chairs are adorable! Great work G!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely freshen-ups you have done! And that rocking horse is so dear!
    Perfect choices!

    susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Gina! This is so so cute! The choice of fabric for the chairs is perfect. I am sure the girls are enjoying the tea parties even more now. You have done a fabulous job of painting the rocking horse. Love the colours. How much fun to freshen-up old and well loved things. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paint and fabric just give things a new lease on life. I love to see old things get new life! Rocking horses and tea parties are just the most fun! I miss the days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paint and fabric just give things a new lease on life. I love to see old things get new life! Rocking horses and tea parties are just the most fun! I miss the days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paint and fabric just give things a new lease on life. I love to see old things get new life! Rocking horses and tea parties are just the most fun! I miss the days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paint and fabric just give things a new lease on life. I love to see old things get new life! Rocking horses and tea parties are just the most fun! I miss the days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, I love it all but I especially love the paint job!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So handy! I still have the ladder i dragged off someone's hard rubbish collection in the garage.....awaiting a sand and lick of paint so i can put my quilts on them in the loungeroom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Gina! Great job! The the corner looks amazing! and the new horse looks very nice with his (or probably "her") new paint :) So nice! :)
    Jola *

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a beautiful work of art, the rocking horse looks as good as new, or better than new!
    http://horsehubs.com

    ReplyDelete