Monday, January 6, 2014

Secret Santa


For Christmas my Wombat Stew paper piecing group "drew" names to make a Secret Santa present for. I drew Alyce. We had each made a wish list and I decided to make her a cushion. I love economy blocks so I paper pieced the blocks.

I used Koi for the center of the blocks then used blender prints to surround the center and low volume prints for the background. I added a thin border to make the cushion 18" square.

 The triangle print is my favorite and I used the last little bit i had  on the back  along with the koi print and an envelope enclosure.

I thought it would be fun  to send along a little something for her kids so I made them each a placemat. Not quite as exciting as a toy but something to open. I embroidered a deer for her daughter and added some woodland theme patchwork around it and finished it with a woodland animal print on the back.


A Mr. Fox placemat for her son.
My Secret Santa was Midge who sent me this fun box of goodies!! She made me an awesome bag,  some fun fabric (look at those cute strawberries!!!) and sewing notions, as well as some Australian coins, and some special Australian treats, Tim Tams (yummy!!).
She used some pretty Japanese fabric with my favorite colors for the outside. I love the handles! When I opened it it was so perfect I wondered if it was store bought.


But then I checked out the inside and saw my favorite Field Study print and Midge's label and knew she made it :)

My very favorite part of the bag is this zipper! I have never seen such a pretty zip! 

My thoughtful friend Jola sent me a sweet surprise. She makes the most perfect patchwork and sent me this beautiful quilted pouch with our favorite Czech candy tucked inside. The fabric is beautiful with cream and gold which i used in my Christmas decorating this year.


The inside is a cute dot print and I decided to use it to keep a nativity set in. The quilting makes it a very soft and protective pouch. My daughter decided to run off with the chocolate. That's how photo shoots go around here... the kids either want to stand in the middle of my project or they want to run off with it!! Happy Monday!!!

16 comments:

  1. Hi! Everything looks so beautiful and well made! I need to make some economiy blocks right now...
    Happy NEW Year! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great swap Gina, I love the cushion you made for Alyce and the placemats are adorable! Your bag is gorgeous too, I have one made from that pattern and it holds loads of clutter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love. Love. Love the placemat with deer embroidery! And don't you have a beautiful new bag to sport around, that is if the kids see fit to let you keep it! I am thinking void of chocolate it probably hold less appeal for them! Lucky you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the gifts you made for Alyce - just lovely and very thoughtful!

    Gorgeous bag from Midge!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very honoured to have received the last of some Koi, thank you so much! And the kids just love using their placemats :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous gifts you made for Alyce! That pillow is fantastic!
    And that bag you got from Midge, holy wow is it ever perfect! Lucky, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful swap presents... both what you made, and what you received! It must've been a wonderful holiday, having made those gifts, and then getting your special presents ! I know that Alyce must have loved her gorgeous pillow!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww Gina, sensory overload! First- I love that zipper too! I think I saw a tut once on how to DIY one. I think I'd rather skip the trouble & just buy some, but they are pricey. Second- I love your nativity! Are those Peeple? Or Weeble Wobbles...I forget what they're called. I have a lovely thrifted porcelain set that I keep on a high shelf all year, but I'd love a kid friendly set. Next...omg your quilted pillow! And now I know what low volume means. I'm picking up information here:) how sweet to make the placemats too. You are precious, I'd totally use my fancy zippers on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so thrilled you liked the bag so much! And even more thrilled to find out that is your favourite Field Study print?!!?! Fate! You are one of the cleverest handmaidens I know, and Alyce is so lucky to have received your goodies! Oh and I forgot I sent some Aussie coins! lol. I remembered after I'd wrapped it up that it's tradition to add money to a gift of purse or bag?!!? lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous, from both you and Ms Midge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those place mats are ahhhdorable! That purse/tote is amazing. It really does look store bought. I have a soft spot for those economy blocks and that pillow is just plain gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gina, your presents are really very nice. The presents for you and your friends! I love the pillow with economy blocks. I would like to sew the quilt with using these blocks. And... I love the little hand on the chocolate :)
    Jola ***

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pillow is stunning! What a lovely bunch of gifts you received. How very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful post full of handmade treasures ... gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful handmade presents with lots of goodies to accompany it. Love the patchwork pillow and the combination of purple/pink and grey in it.

    ReplyDelete