Wednesday, January 29, 2014

WIP Wednesday: You've Got {Valentine's} Mail

This project was so fun to make and I think is my first (mini) quilty finish for this year.
Somewhere along the way we have started a week long count down to Valentine's Day. I blame it on these cute mail boxes. I bought some and then figured the kids should get mail in them. I bring them out the week before Valentine's Day and each night i put in a note telling them how much I love them or what I love about them, or a pack of gum, conversation hearts, hair clips, etc. Small little things that will fit inside. When I had 2 kids it worked great. At four kids it was still working but last year having 6 mailboxes on the counter drove me a little batty as I don't like clutter.
I loved the You've Got Mail organizer in Patchwork Please by Ayumi Takahashi but I  already have a mail organization system that works for us. Then boom, the light bulb went off and I decided the mail organizer would work perfectly to replace the little mailboxes from my counter. Win-win!!! 
I grabbed some florals, heart, and letter type fabrics and set to work. The blocks were made my favorite way with paper piecing. I posted some of the individual blocks on IG.
One of the tags from Mindy was the perfect compliment along with some ticking striped binding. I was a little worried about the bulk of the ticking since it is similar to canvas but it worked without any problems.
For the backing I used an Alexander Henry print  that I have had forever! that matches the front in theme only but not so much in color with purple being in the print but it was what I had so I used it!!. The selvedge said 1996. I know I have had it a long time but I didn't realize I had it that long! Wouldn't it be fun if the year was always put on the selvedge?!

It is a dark day for photos here but I pulled out some Valentine decorations to surprise the kids when they get home from school. Last years envelope banner and the "You are my Favorite" banner.

The chalkboard art was a free printable I found on Pinterest and the "All You Need is Love" artwork is from Monika's Etsy shop. I have a couple of her Subway art prints and always love the prints she comes up with.
I also brought out this moldy oldy banner made from a clearance Christmas garland that I made a four or five years back. There is a picture of each of the kids (this was before the 2 little ones were born) and it was fun to see how much they have grown and changed since I made the banner.






Next up is making the twins each a bolero jacket and the quilt for Lala Salama. Thanks for stopping by and Happy Wednesday! Linking up with Freshly Pieced where there are all kinds of fun projects o look at!!

                                        WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced




22 comments:

  1. What a great idea to turn an already cute project into a special Valentine's Day treat for your children! Adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy awesome idea G! I've been wanting to make a little mail station for the boys... this is it!
    And i love that little pencil block! Where's that one from?
    The ticking is perfect, but that backing... fantastic!
    You're so clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely - I think mine may be turned into a quilt (I'm going to get over 30 from my swap group)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely adorable G! Love the decorations in your house too - just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a precious idea. Those little envelopes are so cute. O adore your backing fabric. What a perfect match for the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh its adorable, I love that you have used some stronger colours and the pencils in the composition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha, should have read this post first! Now I know what you've made with those lovely envelope blocks :) Too, too, too gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been so busy! What a great way to stay organized with your Valentine goodies. I am especially enamoured with the envelope that has the Aneela Hooey script - it is just such a pretty combination.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So so clever! We don't celebrate Valentine's day, but I think your decorations are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are very organised Gina, the mail holder is lovely. Your backing fabric is virtually an antique :) Goes to show that it is definitely worth hanging on to fabric it will always come in handy one day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! Definitely Win-win! And yes, dates on selvedges would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The envelope quilt is adorable! Those blocks are a super way to showcase "special" fabrics. I can see how 6 mailboxes would be a bit cluttery on the counter. Great solution! Love the little detail of the tag too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, your bolero fabrics a cute! I'm drooling over the quilt fabric stack!! Your mantle is fabulous. I never decorate for valentines day! I'm going to have to figure something out!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gina, it looks wonderful! Your mini quilt is amazing!!! :) Jola

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your mini quilt is just sooo cute and delightful! What a wonderful way to use such fun fabrics!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the little mail boxes and I love the mini quilt! It's so sweet and perfect for love notes. What a great idea! I recently bought myself a copy of Patchwork Please by Ayumi Takahashi after I saw some of envelope blocks on Flickr and fell in love with them. I am a bit scared of patchwork but I am going to give it a try soon. Thank you for sharing Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love your "got mail" wall hanging I just saw on Sew mama sew!! lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. that's so sweet! Such a lovely idea

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really cute! Now I need to find the book for that pattern I love it!

    ReplyDelete