Friday, May 9, 2014

Finish it Up Friday: The Curvy Goose Edition

Happy Friday and yay! for some finishes. Gemma had a birthday in April and now that she has received it I can share it with you. I had decided at the beginning of our Wombat Stew sewing year, which was last June, that wanted to make and send each of the girls a surprise on their birthday. I ended up going with a kitchen theme and made each of them a tea towel and hot pad holder. Gemma is the last birthday in our group so I have been thinking about what I would make her the longest but of course it didn't turn out anything like i had originally planned.

A week before I started to make Gemma's gift I was going through fabric to find something to use in a block I was making and I came across my small stash of original Flea Market Fancy scraps. I am not sure why but I love the original more than the reprint. I digress, but when I came across the scraps I really wanted to make something with them so pulled them out to use for Gemma. The fabric isn't what I would consider her style but it is bright and cheery and that is definitely Gemma.

I have been loving blocks with curves and flying geese lately so I found a paper pieced paper that used both of these elements. I never tire of a low volume background and used some of my scraps up on this project.

I used a decorative arrow stitch above and below the row of geese on the tea towel but it didn't show up very well with the gray Aurifil thread on the black yarn dyed Essex linen but it did add some texture.

All of Gem's family speaks French so I backed both the towel and hot pad with a french text print. These were so much fun to make I think I am going to make myself a set ;)

Sweet Midge was Queen of Wombat Stew for April and she chose a really fun London Calling theme. Kristy came up with some really fun patterns! I chose the London bobby. I think he is rather cute with his moustache! The background print wasn't as low volume as I had hoped even with the cream background. I debated about using it but went with it in the end since the rest of the block uses solids. It is a bit busy but I think that must be how a bobby feels at the end of the day having cars and buses and things coming at him all day. I can't wait to see Midge's finished quilt!
For May in my Cheer Circle at do.Good Stitches Wendi asked for pink and red Sawtooth Stars. I love a star block and these were fun to make. I impressed myself by making flying geese WITHOUT paper piecing. Yes, I am a paper piecing addict and sometimes I use it for a crutch. I held my breath while making them hoping I did the math right and there were a couple points when I questioned if they would turn out. It was very fun when they turned out just like they were supposed to. I am easily entertained!
Lastly, here is a project that I am working towards finishing. Yes, I can not get the curves and flying geese out of my system and have started on another New York Beauty. This is for practice. It is the same pattern I did in March but I wanted to try it again to see if the curves would be as challenging as the first time. The first curved seam I had to rip 7 times before I got it right. I had been using a pinless method but then I went to pinning and I haven't ripped a seam since. I haven't been using a lot of pins just in key spots. This pattern is here. Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday and with Kristy for her Paper Piecing Party since all but 1 of my projects are paper pieced :) Have a fun weekend!! We are off to a basketball tournament for the weekend.
                                                               
Paper Piecing Party
Add caption


14 comments:

  1. Absolutely love your finishes, Gina! I am sure Gemma was very happy to receive a present like that. You are amazingly thoughtful when it comes to tiny details in things you make. London bobby is COOL! I don't think it's too busy because, as you said, there are plenty of solid colours. Poor thing, his head must be spinning with all the cars around. :-) I am still struggling with curves. Ended up sewing the bottom part of the house pincushion by hand, couldn't get it right on the machine. Love the colours of the Sawtooth Star blocks and the New York Beauty. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All are so beautiful, Gina! I like the curvy flight pattern of your geese! Happy Mother's Day Weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are all beautiful makes Gina. I am loving the London paper pieced patterns - reminds me of home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous makes Gina, lots of delicious curves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving all your curvy geese - it's really tempting to start one, but I can't think of a reason. But I do need to make some cushions for our new place in the next while. Maybe I'll be crazy enough to try one then. Love the tea towel and hot pad set, no wonder you want one for yourself too :) enjoy the basketball!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm floored! Your "practice" block looks as good as anything I've ever seen. I'm proud of your gumption too. When a technique is too difficult, I usually shy away fir a while before I try again. Look at all your progress! And your gift is so sweet. I think that your fabric savvy and all the personal touches are what have me so hooked on quilting. Also, anyone can make a pretty quilt or block if they try hard enough; but not many can evoke emotion with their project. That's the definition of art. I bet you're laughing right now, being called a quilt artist; but it's true!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful paper piecing! I love that London Bobby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! Curves.....akkkk!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO SO amazed at all of these wonderful Foundation Paper Pieced projects, your bobby is perfect love the background you chose and the gifts for Gemma are so beautiful. And I also agree about traveling with kids under a certain age I was thinking 10, lol, My son had a meltdown in the middle of the London airport and they called security on us, my daughter didn't want to put her seatbelt on the plane when we were landing and the flight attendant told us we wouldn't be able to land the plane until she did, both incidents were so nerve racking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gina, great job!!! I love your new blocks!! And the curves.... great great!!! And the London bobby :) It is really good job! You were so busy :)
    Jola

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that version of the New York Beauty with the colour gradation! So lovely.

    beaniekins84@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You've been busy haven't you?!! Love the kitchen set for Gemma! The addition of the turquoise running stitch around the tea towel is just perfection!! And your sawtooth stars are gorgeous, love the little birds in the center of the one, so cute! And dang girl, that new york beauty is awesome! Can't wait to see it finished up!
    Hope you and Super Sam had a great time at the tourney! And i hope you had a great Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you've been busy! I am loving each and everything you made. It all looks great and kuddos to you on your perfect flying geese! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know how much I love that Bobby!?!?!? Soooo much! And all of your other little projects are just divine! Go the NYB!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete