Friday, May 30, 2014

New York Beauty Kitchen Mat

Another Friday, another finish! It's a New York Beauty Sunrise kitchen sink mat. Sadly, it was one of those projects that got lost in translation somewhere between my head and real life. This was actually my friends idea but I took it and tried to save her another WIP.

I started with Janice's pattern and took it to the print shop and had them print it at 200%. The pattern was huge! I envisioned a sunrise where the first bit of light is almost a white-yellow that pops out of he darkness then spreads to pinks and oranges.

I used some AMH, Violet Kraft, Heather Ross, Sandi Henderson, a few others, and, of course, some Sunprint from Alison Glass. Every sun needs some Sunprint. I also had to include some clouds, birds, and bees to go along with the morning sun. The morning sun coming up over a mountain just like I see it every morning.

I debated with myself over the background for a long time about whether or not to use 1 solid. As you can see I decided to go with a dark background at the edges and to get lighter as it reaches the middle where the sun is coming up. If I were to do this again I would modify the pattern a bit so the background color transitions of the spokes matched up with the color transitions of the flying geese.

I am not sure if it was experience or the larger pieces but it was much easier to make the curves line up with this one than the first New York Beauty I made.

Then, there was my nemesis...the quilting! I think my quilting age is about 18 months so it looks like an 18 month olds "writing". I started by outlining the sun's rays and doing some straight line echo quilting. Next I followed the arc of the geese. Lastly I tried to get fancy and make some little flowers in the grass on the mountain. That didn't work out so well with very uneven stitches so I took those stitches out. I ended up doing a butterflies path pattern, at least that is what I am calling it. :)

I took Rachel's advice and used a towel in the middle instead of batting.  I think that  will soak up water more than batting would and make it more useful as a kitchen sink mat.

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it Up Friday. Have a great weekend!!

15 comments:

  1. And it's mine, all mine!! Muhahahaha!!
    And i love it, it's absolutely perfect G! (even if it's not ever going to live in my kitchen where it could get dirty!)
    I've decided to use it on my side of the bed where i can see it every morning when i get up and every night when i go to bed! And it looks fabulous there, with the rest of my AMH awesomeness!
    Thank you so much, you're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. Wow!!!! This is so beautiful!!!!! I could never stand on that, although the baby feet look sweet!! I would put it over a door or something!! Soooo pretty Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing. Your artist is showing again:) I think when someone has a true talent they are definitely critical of their work- I don't see little kid scribbles or the quilting equivalent. In fact the quilting is as interesting as the piece work to me. I remember some of the first things I sewed- I thought they were so good. Now that I know a lot more I see every single flaw. I can't wait to look at quilt projects with a trained eye! Just know I think you are the Picasso of quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina, it is wonderful!!! Great job and super idea! I love the choice of fabrics. And the quilting is really fabulous... WOW! :)

    Have a wonderful weekend! J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! I couldn't stand on it ... it's too beautiful!!! PS how cute are your little one's toes? xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so beautiful Gina - just makes me happy looking at it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I love the quilting. I would think that it is too pretty to put on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very lovely, Gina! I wish that I could quilt as well as 18 month you!!! Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely stunning! I am amazed by your patience, Gina. I would feel really sorry to use it as a floor mat. :-) I like the fabrics you chose to show the beautiful transformation from one colour into another.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As someone who can only do straight lines for quilting (and usually not that straight either) I think what you have done is fabulous. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the most beautiful kitchen mat I have ever seen! It is absolutely gorgeous! The quilting is awesome. I love the texture it adds to the front. On another note: I received the Reminisce fat quarters you sent for Sew Mama Sew giveaway day. I love them! Thank you so much for hosting that giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really awesome, I love everything about this mat; I made 2 bathroom mats for by ensuite and still smile everytime I go in there and see my handy work, I also used a thick towel instead of batting !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good lord woman!!!!!!! Far out brussell sprout!?!?!?!? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! This is stunning.... too pretty for the floor! It should be on your wall!! I love the colors... and where you put them! And your quilting is just perfect!! Love every bit of it!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete