Friday, August 29, 2014

Finish It Up Friday: The Strawberry Edition

Hi Everyone! I hope you had a fun summer!! Ours was fun and fast. It seems the older my kids get the harder it is to keep up with them. Maybe thats because I am getting older as well. My school kids have been back to school for a week now so I am hoping to once again find a blogging rhythm.  
I have been absent from this spot but have been loving Instagram (IG). I am @partyofeightourstory if you want to find me there. It has been my space where i do most of my blog reading. Taking 5 minutes to scroll through pictures here and there between activities is time efficient for me. There were so many swaps on IG this summer. I have not participated in many swaps, well one to be exact, as I never felt that I had the time. There were so many fun swaps that I could not resist and fun friends to participate with too. 

Strawberries are my favorite so, of course, I had to participate in the Strawberry Swap. This swap was pretty wide open and just needed to consist of strawberry related items. For the main item I made what I have been wanting for myself which was some fabric storage bins.
I used a tutorial from Birch Fabrics for fabric bins. It was a very simple and fun tutorial to follow. I used home dec fabric for the insides and the interfacing they recommended and the bins turned out very sturdy. My swap partner has a newly organized sewing room so I am hoping these come in handy. I resized a strawberry pattern from Kristy at Quiet Play so the berry went from large to small along with the bins.
Next up I made a needle book using Amy's tutorial. I have made this quite a few times and use one myself and I always love making them.

One of my partners favorite designers is Bonnie and Camille so I used some of their fabric on the inside.
I follow the tutorial only changing 2 things. See the fabric strip next to the first pocket? That is to hold a spool or 2 of thread. It calls for velcro at the bottom but I make a button hole and use a button. Velcro is a thread magnet so I find the button works better. The tutorial comes with a pattern to make a case for your scissors. I had some vintage strawberry trim I wanted to incorporate in the project so I stitched the ribbon down then put the ends through the scissor handles and tied them down.
Lastly, I made her a card to match her needle book then 4 blank cards to be used for whatever need pops up. It is always handy to have some general, all purpose cards to send as thank you's, birthday, or simply thinking of you cards. Sorry for the dodgy late night photo but late night sewing/card making has been my mantra.
This was a blind swap so the person who sent to me was not the person I sent to. This is the fun package I received! A pretty strawberry mini, a strawberry de-stemmer (works great; tried it out today!!), a strawberry keeper, lip gloss, hand sanitizer, and some yummy gum and candy. It was a very fun swap and I made some new friends!

So happy to be linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for finish it up Friday!!










15 comments:

  1. Great swap packages given and received Gina, what a fun swap! I love the fabric baskets with the paper-pieced strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks to me like you had one lucky recipient! What a beautiful swap bundle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it was a perfect swap for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much strawberry yummy-ness in one post! I really love how you reduced the paper pieced strawberry down for each bin, clever lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved seeing all the items being made for the strawberry swap. Your fabric bins are so cute, and the mini you received is lovely too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know! IG is fab!
    And these projects! Berry-luscious, Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, how do you manage everything?! The fabric basket is gorgeous! Are you going to make some storage bins for yourself soon? I have the hardest time making gifts because I want one too. (Greedy!) I think I'd have to make 2 in older to give that pretty basket away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! All of your berry creations are so special and gorgeous, with those fabrics and special touches. It is so "Gina " !! And you received wonderful goodies as well, ... that's berry karma!! I love those fabric baskets with the pp strawberry fronts!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  9. You, my friend are the master swapper! Everything you make is always gorgeously perfect!
    The little storage baskets are just awesome! And that needle book! So cute, with it's little strawberry stamp and your fantastic hand stitching! Awesome work G, your partner was seriously spoiled!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gina, your strawberry block bins are so beautiful! (especially the middle one) And it's the sweetest needle book as well, and the cards! I am not sure if I could part with things like that. :-) Great swap with lots of yummy strawberries! What fabric did you use on the inside of the needle book? It's so pretty - pink and green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Larisa! That is a print from Bonnie and Camille's Scrumptious line and it is a pretty print!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Gina! Just checked it out. It's such a delicious collection of prints! :-)

      Delete
  11. What a lovely blog! And love that package your gave your strawberry partner - the fabric bin strawberry is awesome! Love that needlebook too - one of my fave patterns.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Gina, this strawberry party is awesome! :)
    Jola

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really behind on checking blogs but I was the lucky recipients of your strawberry swap gifts. They are all amazing - every details. It was my first IG swap, so I didn't really know what to expect. Your gifts were very special and will be proudly displayed in my sewing room! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete