Friday, September 19, 2014

Finish it Up Friday: The Fox Swap

Another week, another swap is ready to go. This week I finished making for  the fox swap. I think foxes are cute so I was a bit excited for this swap!
I started with the main project. For this swap we  needed to make  a fox related item. After seeing my partner's mosaic she made and reading about her likes I decided to make a wall hanging. I found an image on Etsy I liked so i sketched that out as best I could. I then made a photo copy of the iage to cut out the pieces of my pattern.

Before cutting my pieces out I sketched over my white felt with a color crayon in the areas that needed brown and pink on them. I used older Under to fuse the felt to the fabric. . Next, I started adding in some details with embroidery thread. I tried to give the tail and legs some definition as well as the chest and mouth areas. Then I moved on to the grass. I do not have any variegated thread so I layered 3 different colors of green.

I cut the butterfly from quilting cotton  and appliquéd it down then embroidered the body, antennae, and butterfly trail. Then I fussy cut the mushroom and appliquéd it down. I used some different stitches on the flowers like french knots and the wheel stitch.

I then embroidered the vines. I felt like it was lacking something and thought about adding some little flowers and french knots to the vines. In the end I decided I did not have enough time and settled for adding two simple leaves with the flowers.
Lastly I wrapped the piece on a 12x12 art canvas. I glue basted a pice of batting to the canvas before adding the fabric. I still need to add a label to the back then it will be ready to send.:) 

For a smaller item I made another fox place mat. I used a Cotton + Steel print that instead os chevrons I like to think of this fabric as being little fox faces :)

I cut into my little scrap of Heather Ross fox fabric and made a wrist pin cushion. I am not sure how practical this pin cushion is but it sure is cute.



The fox pattern came from an issue of Mollie Makes and the Snappy wrist bracelet came from a sewing book I have. Do you find that sometimes it takes you longer to box and mail the swap than it took to make it?! Deadlines help!!! Linking up with Sew Fresh Quilts who is hosting Finish Friday. She is showing her Fox and Friends redo which is a very cute and clever quilt! Have a fun weekend!!!!

16 comments:

  1. Oh, Gina! Another wonderful things made by your hands! : ) Really so nice! And the wrist pin cushion is so cute :) Have a great weekend! Jola

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely super sweet, and such intricate work. Your partner is going to be so happy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww! How adorable your fox projects are, Gina! I love, love, love that felt fox embroidery piece. And the place mat is super cute. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my stars how cute is all of that?! The embroidery! And who wouldn't love to see that placemat at the table?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a lot of work! It is so very, very cute. Your partner will be thrilled to open her gift for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are SERIOUSLY talented girlfriend!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the hand work on your wall art. It's amazing and looks sort of painstaking! The placemat it adorable too...it would be cute to do somethi g like that on a pencil bag too. I love your swaps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww! Your fox wall hanging is lovely - the overall effect of all your crafty techniques is wonderful, I especially love the 3D effect you have achieved on the grass. I can imagine a huge smile on your partner's face when she opens up this awesome package!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooooh that little canvas is very sweet. So is the placemat ; )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your partner is super lucky! That fox canvas is gorgeous and the placemat so fun! Love love love the HR wrist pin cushion. Yay you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's all so wonderful! Your partner is going to be thrilled with all this!
    I adore that little wall art piece and your stitching is just fantastic! Love how you coloured the felt in first too, i would have never thought of that!
    You know i need to make some of those placemats, just way too cute!
    And that pin cushion... perfection, i don't think i would be able to stick pins in it though!!
    Super awesome swap gift G!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much cuteness in one post Gina! I love all the embroidery you did for the wall hanging ... again, you ahve a lucky swap partner. Looking forward to seeing what you receive too - exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pack, Gina! The wall hanging is adorable with all the lovely details. The pin cushion it too cute to be used for pins, I would feel sorry to "hurt" this little fox. I have the same problem with any kind of parcels. I love putting them together but then it takes me AGES to post them. :-) Happy crafting, Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your wall hanging is adorable Gina. A really lovely package to receive.

    ReplyDelete