Friday, September 26, 2014

Finish It Up Friday : A Little Mug Rug

I have a dear friend, Jola,  who lives across the ocean in Europe. I enjoy reading her blog and seeing her cute creations and her beautiful crochet. Every now and then I have a happy surprise in the mail box with a post card of a place she has travelled to in her country. I love snail mail! Especially of a place I have never been but would like to visit.

One day Jola shared pictures of some cute signs she had bought for her sewing space. I loved both of the signs but thought one of them would be perfect to translate with fabric into a mug rug. If you read Jola's blog you will find she likes a cup of coffee and a small treat. The post card theme was perfect too!

I drew up the templates for the coffee pot, creamer, and mug then used raw edge appliqué to put them on the fabric. I used my Sizzix letter dies to cut out "coffee". I did not have any dies in the size I wanted for "good idea" so I used rubber stamps to stamp them onto the fabric then cut them out and sewed them down. Jola sent me the wooden bird on the tag so I guess that is the gift that keeps on giving :).

Every post card needs to be stamped so I used some of my favorites that Nicole had sent me. ( her stamp tutorial can be found here). Jola, her daughter, and I all love strawberries so it had to have a strawberry along with some birthday flowers and some happy California sunshine. I used rubber stamps and fabric ink for the postmarks. The international air mail stripe for the binding was something I bought awhile back and had been waiting for the right project to come up to use.

Of course I had to label the mug rug and thought a stamped deer would be perfect for my dear friend. Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday. Hope you have a great weekend!!

11 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful, Gina! So many cute and very thoughtful details. Jola would love this mug rug. The cup full of coffee is so nice! All the stamps, tag, label and binding... a lot to look at. I really like the idea of "post card" design, there are so many possibilities. I made a few dairy covers a while ago using the same principal and they turned out quite lovely. What a wonderful birthday gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every detail is thoughtful and beautiful. Your friend will love it! A great Friday finish, you amaze me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable Gina ... truly adorable ... and that binding fabric! Perfect in every way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Gina! This is absolutely perfect! The way all the details work together is just fantastic! So glad your using the stamps and the addition of the postmarks just puts this gift over the top! You need to open a shop, you know, in your spare time ;) While i don't know Jola i know that she will absolutely love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I really love my new mug rug!!! I would like to hang it on my wall. The mug rug is really perfect made, I love each detail!!!
    Gina, thank you so much once more :) :)
    ***

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ultra cute! What a lot of work you have put into it - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweetness, in thought and deed! It really is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is too cute for words! Love all of your handmade details, Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The details are amazing! This inspires me! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete