Friday, October 17, 2014

Finish it up Friday: Scattered Leaves


This week I was able to finish up my orange peel cushion. I had made the background about a month and a half ago but needed to finish up some other projects before doing the orange peels. We bought a new couch a couple of months ago and I wanted to make some cushions to brighten it up. Making orange peels has been on my "want to make" list so I took the opportunity to try them out.

I used a random-ish leaf placement, raw edge appliqué, and black thread to help define the leaves. I hand quilted in the areas where diamonds formed.

I also hand quilted leaves in the squares where there was a leaf missing. Each square is 3" finished for a total of 64 squares and the cushion finishes at 24 inches. I love Cotton and Steel and had fun working with all of these prints!
It took nearly a yard of fabric for the back  so I used a print I had in my stash that had some trees on it.

I also made my October blocks for do.Good Stitches this week. We made plus blocks with bright pluses and low volume backgrounds. We used this tutorial. They were fun to make!!
Jane is Queen for Wombat Stew this month. She has a camp trailer she wants to make a quilt for so she chose a camping theme. I made this camp fire for her and Kristy made the pattern. It was a great week!! Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it Up Friday. She has blogged about an awesome quilt you might want to check out. Have a great weekend!!

13 comments:

  1. Eep!! That cushion is way too awesome! I love the C&S on the low-vol patchwork, absolutely perfect! And the hand stitching... amazing as always!
    And aren't you miss queen of the bee blocks! You've been making some fantastical things! Love that campfire!
    Happy Friday G!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Gina! Your cushion is absolutely fabulous! I love orange peels, but they haven't made it "officially" onto any list of mine yet! :) It looks wonderful on your new couch! And cute cute blocks! I love the campfire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Orange peels, they make a great cushion. The camp.fire block is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Gina, your pillow is wonderful!!! So beautiful result!
    And the "plus" blocks... I also like this pattern and your blocks are so pretty.
    The campfire is very nice. Gina... you were really very very busy! :)
    Have a wonderful weekend (maybe with the new sewing project) :) Jola

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina! ,ove those orange peels. They are perfect for the low volume yumminess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new pillows, they sure do look cheerful! I tried to count all the prints but I lost track. I like that fabric line though! I love when quilters team up and make blocks together. My favorite is when (if) we get to see them all pieced together and quilted. The camp quilt is gonna be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all of these creations, Gina! Just perfect each and everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great pillow Gina. Glad you made something for yourself this time round :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! This just made your couch a "designer" couch!! I so love the vibrant leaves on the low volume patchwork.... so "Gina's touch!" And your blocks for the bee's are so beautiful! The spirit of a campfire really comes through that Wombat block!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your new cushion, Gina! You made something for yourself! The combination of the bright leaves and low volume background patchwork is lovely. I can't believe there are 64(!) squares. Great blocks too! I always enjoy your choice of prints, Gina! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that you were able to make something for you, you're always so giving of your beautiful creations to others. The cushion is gorgeous and the couch looks comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I really love the black stitching around the leaves - really makes them pop!

    ReplyDelete