Friday, October 17, 2014

Finish it up Friday: Scattered Leaves


This week I was able to finish up my orange peel cushion. I had made the background about a month and a half ago but needed to finish up some other projects before doing the orange peels. We bought a new couch a couple of months ago and I wanted to make some cushions to brighten it up. Making orange peels has been on my "want to make" list so I took the opportunity to try them out.

I used a random-ish leaf placement, raw edge appliqué, and black thread to help define the leaves. I hand quilted in the areas where diamonds formed.

I also hand quilted leaves in the squares where there was a leaf missing. Each square is 3" finished for a total of 64 squares and the cushion finishes at 24 inches. I love Cotton and Steel and had fun working with all of these prints!
It took nearly a yard of fabric for the back  so I used a print I had in my stash that had some trees on it.

I also made my October blocks for do.Good Stitches this week. We made plus blocks with bright pluses and low volume backgrounds. We used this tutorial. They were fun to make!!
Jane is Queen for Wombat Stew this month. She has a camp trailer she wants to make a quilt for so she chose a camping theme. I made this camp fire for her and Kristy made the pattern. It was a great week!! Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it Up Friday. She has blogged about an awesome quilt you might want to check out. Have a great weekend!!

Friday, October 3, 2014

Finish It Up Friday: The Trick or Treat Halloween Swap

It was a good finish to complete my fourth and final swap for September! The swap was the #trickortreathalloweenswap hosted on Instagram and Flickr. i didn't take any pictures of the extras I sent only the handmades.
The only requirement of the swap was to make this drawstring bag and fill it with some goodies. It was a fun and easy tutorial to follow. For my partner I decided on a patchwork bag and I wanted to add a few embroidered squares of Halloween icons since I had no Halloween fabric. I added in some Halloween colored fabrics and did buy a couple of Halloween prints to add in and for the lining.


This panel ended up being the back of the drawstring bag.

I appliqued trick or treat on the front of the bag.
I also made a little fox and pumpkin mug rug. I went with a more fall theme to last longer than Halloween. The pumpkin was a free pattern that finished at 3" and I used scraps to make it. The fox pattern I bought on Etsy. All of my partners liked foxes, even the partners that were not part of the fox swap.

The last item I made was a Not So Spooky Haunted House complete with a cute Monster in the window. I had a lot of fun sewing swaps this month and am looking forward to participating in some more swaps after the first of the year. Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday. Have a great weekend!!