Friday, March 6, 2015

Vintage Bird Baby Quilt

Hi!!! Hope you are well! I thought i would pop in with a quick blog post of my first quilt finish this year. I have been doing a fair amount of sewing but have only been posting on Instagram but would like to find a better balance between blogging and IG. I love the fabric line Milk, Sugar, and Flower by Elea Lutz! I didn't have a specific project planned so i ordered a charm pack to see what it looked like in real life and figured I would probably make a cushion for my youngest daughter. The next day I received a birth announcement from my sister's niece so I decided the charm pack must be for her!


I took inspiration from the bird print ( the mint birds are my favorite!). I found a vintage bird embroidery then used my sister's overhead projector to enlarge the image and transfer it to the fabric. The bird that is standing upright is 9 inches tall which seemed like a lot to embroider so I decided to appliqué the birds and branch then embroider the flowers.
I used the cat and bunny print from the line for the backing and some Lizzy House pearl bracelets for the binding.

I had to get creative with the design since I only had a charm pack to work with and added in a few other prints from some other lines. The quilt is 35x45"and was a lot of fun to make! Have a fun weekend!! Linking up with Alyce at Blossom Heart Quilts for Sew Cute Tuesday on this Friday :)

14 comments:

  1. How precious Gina!! I've not seen that line...will have to look it up! I love the way you mixed the applique and embroidery...I'm sure the new mother will be soooo thrilled to receive such a sweet gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The birds are fantastic! What a great idea - they look absolutely beautiful. Lovely quilt - it's going to look great with a sweet little baby wrapped inside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetness oozes from this quilt - I really love it! You are so clever enlarging that embroidery pattern and I love the appliqué embroidery combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! It blows me away to see what you can do with a charm pack. This quilt turned out perfect, the flowers are the perfect touch! She will CHERISH that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina, this quilt is so cute!!! I love the rounded corners as well, lovely result. And the embroidery makes so sweet effect... Lovely lovely job!! :)
    Jola

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww this is so sweet and beautiful!! A gorgeous gift... and the applique and embroidery is perfect with the fabrics! This is will be a favorite gift, I am sure!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful Gina, the applique birds are adorable. How smart to use the overhead projector to enlarge the image too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know you had only a charm pack to work with! It's beautiful and I love the appliqued birds and flower embroidery. The scale of the flowers and birds is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vintage embroidery patterns are my favorite and this quilt really is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was following along on IG but am really delighted to read your post and see your gorgeous photos of the whole quilt. Really beautiful and the applique birdies really make it special!

    ReplyDelete
  11. gosh this is so pretty Gina. Your applique is so neat and tidy, and I love the extra embroidery :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Gina, so glad to see you blogging again, I missed your posts. I have been checking out IG for your new creations but was not able to comment since I don't have an account and not going to have one for now. This is a beautiful baby quilt! Really like the white middle with embroidery and applique and pretty colourful border. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so stinking cute Gina!! I love it :)
    The vintage embroidery pattern is so perfect, as is your embroidery work!
    And i'm so happy to see you blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where do you get the time to do all this work of Love?

    ReplyDelete