Wednesday, March 25, 2015

WIP Wednesday: A Lizzy House Knockoff

I joined in on the Great Pillow Fight swap on flickr. Usually when i do a swap I try and make something on my quilty bucket list or try a new to me technique. I fell in love with the Lizzy House Meadow quilt (which you can find on flickr) a couple of years ago. The pattern is not available but LizzyHouse teaches the quilt as a workshop. She hasn't come close to where I live so I decided to try to make my own version of her quilt into a pillow. Her quilt is gorgeous with a lot of pieced curves. I cheated and made mine with patchwork and appliqué. My partner loves brights and Alison Glass which I did not have. One f my IG friends shared her Alison Glass with me then I added in a little Cotton and Steel, LizzyHouse (of course!!!), some Anna Maria Horner, and a dash of Violet Craft. 



I stirred it altogether and this is what I got. It goes great with my Cotton and Steel orange peel cushion (which I don't think I have blogged) so I want to make another for myself. Actually, once I made my little four patches of color I didn't know how to arrange them. I just laid them down and thought, "That doesn't look quite right, but it's not terrible. I sent a picture to Nicole at Snips Snippets. She worked it like a Rubik's Cube and said move this here, that there, and then trade those 2 and Bam!!! in 2 seconds flat it as perfect and balanced. 

I wanted to keep all of the color on the center of the pillow so as much as I dislike cutting bias, I did, and added a simple piping border and rounded corners. I love to finish projects up with a little hand stitching but I am not good at filling negative space so I got some help from Mary over at Molly Flanders who, I believe, is the queen of hand quilting. I am so lucky to have such talented friends who share their expertise!!
My partner prefers a zip closure which I had never done before. It does make a nice finish and I will probably never make an envelope closure again. Here is at the back with a peek of the lining inside. 

I pieced a little label together and need to finish it up. I considered stitching it but think that I will stamp it. I loved making this pillow for my sap partner; it was a fun experiment! and look forward to making another. LizzyHouse is a great designer which is an area where I do not have any skill.
Today I am starting this quilt by Nicole at Snips Snippets. I think I have only followed 2 patterns in my life as I find it easier to kind of make things up as I go, but the minute I saw this quilt I knew I wanted to make it! I pulled the fabric for this back in December and am finally going to start it. The pattern can be found in Love Quilting and Patchwork Issue 17. There are a lot of fun projects in this magazine but Nicole's Carousel quilt is my favorite. Happy Wednesday!!! Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday.

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful pillows. I especially love the one in front!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous pillows! I love both of them. Well done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, the pillow for your swap partner is wonderful! Great job :) And I can´t wait to see your new project :)
    Have a great time
    Jola

    ReplyDelete
  4. A big LH fan here... wow, this turned out amazing! But I just have to know... did you applique the flowers or are they pieced curves? What method of applique? I love that this is a mini version of her quilt... so fun!

    I saw your starter quilt in LQ&P too and loved it... you've got some really nice colors picked out!

    Greetings from Germany!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  5. This pillow is just awesome and a lovely rendition of the lizzy house quilt. The small scale of the pattern is perfect and love the handquilted touch. The essex with the rich color prints is a great match too. The next time I make a pillow I will try that zipper closure! Can’t wait to see your progress on the giant dresden. I haven’t even opened my ruler out from the package yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your rendition of the Lizzy House quilt in cushion form is great! Love the colours and the design: and the result is so snazzy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously Gina you are on fire! I hope you do find the time to make yourself one of these as I think you will find it hard to put in the post :) Love the rounded edges on the pillow! I would like to make Nicole's pattern as well ... it's on my ever growing list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I'd love one of those for myself too! You should make another!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pillows are so addictive!! The zippers are very nice., and yourpiping and corners are so perfect! My favorite part is the pretty stitch work around the edges. You are a talented chickadee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely swap gift, your partner is a lucky swapper :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love coming here and looking at all of your colorful creations! Somehow I need to get in a swap with you:) You always make such amazing things...of course then I'd feel the pressure to live up to your awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always, fabulous, Gina!!! You have the touch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are both such gorgeous cushions Gina! I'm so impressed with your zippered closure! Super easy yes?? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much awesome in one post G!!
    Your pillow turned out absolutely gorgeous and your hand quilting is to die for!!
    You must make one for yourself, because you're right it looks amazing with your orange peel cushion!
    And i am so freaking excited to see your Carousel quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous pillow! Your design is stunning ! I almost see Daffodils peeping out among the mini swoon stars! I love the selection of your fabrics against the darker background. Is that a black Essex Linen Yarn Died Black?
    You will have to make one to keep for yourself! I know you had another happy happy swap partner!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Gina, I try this way... I have a problem to send you an e-mail. I don´t know the reason, but the result is: "is blocked". I always use this email: "toots2u@..." Do you have another email address I can use? J.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How did I not comment on this? I surely did over on Flickr...anyway...this is serious awesomeness...Have you made one for yourself yet? And I agree, Mary is the queen of hand quilting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay! I must be living in a cave! I am so sorry for not commenting on this pillow! It is a fabulous Lizzy House knock off. And everything else in the picture is pretty fabulous, too. You are too sweet, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gina I see I did find you. Beautiful pillows. You are a master of delight in your home. Sewing. I am sure your girls will pursue the same love of it. Or have started it.

    ReplyDelete